12; too young to fall in love

Carina's povAfter detention

Carina's pov
After detention

I walked into the house and before i could even step 3 feet away from the door i was bombarded by my mother and step dad.

"Care to explain why Sofie walked home from school?" My mom tapped her foot on the floor as i dropped my bag from my arms.

"Uhhh...." i looked at Darryl who seemed frightened for me.

"Your father told me you got detention because you and some punk kid tried to skip class? What was his name, Darryl?"

"Billy Hargrove." he answered with a sigh as he looked at me with an apologetic look. I have a lot of respect for him for always trying to keep me out of trouble with my mother but it bothered me when she called him my father.

Its like she was forcing him as my new father figure, and i didnt need her to fill that void in my life.

"Carina you've never skipped class before, what makes you think thats okay?" she looked at me with so much disappointment.

"I didnt skip mom." i rolled my eyes. "I was just late." as i stormed towards the staircase.

"Late because of a boy!" she followed me to the stairs. "You were foolin around with some boy, got detention and because of that your sister had to walk home."

"I dont want you around him! Ive heard about this boy! He's bad news."

"You dont even know him!" i didnt either yet i felt this obligation to protect him from my mom's judgement.

"I dont care to know him, Carina! You will not hang around that boy!" i walked up to the top
of the stairs and she remained at the bottom.

"Why?" i shouted at her as she stood there looking up at me.

"No daughter of mine will surround herself around bad people. Especially ones who get in fights! He is a bad person, Cari. Have you learned nothing."

I rolled my eyes and turned towards my bedroom door.

"Im not done with you!" she shouted but i slammed the door shut and locked it.

I leaned my back against the door. I dont know why i was so bothered by my mom's words. I wasnt close with Billy, but a part of me felt like i was.

Once i calmed myself down i went to my desk to start my homework.

Maggie ended up calling me and we talked for about 20 minutes just catching up. She definitely took my mind off of things.