Unexpected Apartments and Familiar Kisses

MARCH 30, 2022

What happened in Los Angeles feels like a fever dream.

Never in a million years did Tom Holland expect to befriend his first ex-girlfriend - let alone flirt over a crinkly water bottle and a cigarette bud. But, he did.

Since production for 'The Crowded Room' has commenced he's mostly been travelling around New York, filming on location or in various sound stages that are dotted around the small island. Usually, he'd be too tired to go anywhere apart from apartment accommodation after a long day's work - but he always finds his way to Venetia Nightingale's hotel.

While Tom is mostly city-based, Venetia has been filming in the Hamptons. While the original version 'The Cat on a Hot Tin Roof' by Tennessee Williams is set in Mississippi Delta, as well as the Elizabeth Taylor adaption, the production company would be a lot more comfortable filming in the Hamptons. It's one of the new 'modernised' parts.

The actors spend most of their nights - sometimes early mornings depending on their wrap times - laughing over the fact that they're putting their careers on the line in the name of art. Both of them have felt compelled to take a so-called risk and do a project that'll showcase their darker side and leave audiences impressed.

'The Crowded Room' is a deeply compelling exploration of the human experience, delving into themes of trauma, redemption, and self-discovery, and 'The Cat on a Hot Tin' roof is about feminine desires. It's more than clear that neither of the productions mean to cause any mental anguish. Still, that won't stop the non-fans spamming their mentions with change.org petitions in hopes of the productions getting shut down.

Starring in psychological projects has its perks though, as Tom would know.

Almost three years ago, when he was shooting 'Cherry' in the fall, he realised that there was just no way he could film all of those emotionally draining sequences without taking a break between. It's challenging, being in the same fucked-up head space as a character his playing, especially when he physically transforms himself into them. However, this time, Tom is determined to work his way through it. There's been plenty of times where he's wanted to shave his head and refused to step foot back on the set - but he won't. He'll play Danny until his directors are satisfied with his scenes.

"What do you mean you need me to come apartment hunting with you?" Tom chuckles into his phone, lightly.

Standing in the kitchen of her hotel room, Venetia tilts her heads backwards in frustration.

"Do you want to come or not? I can easily call my brother up if not, it's no problem."

Instead of answering the fairly easy question, he smiles, knowing that it must've pained her to ask. When they were younger, she used to despise his taste in everything - his style, his senses, his music, his taste in films, his everything. They were the perfect example of opposites attract, and somehow, their relationship was the easiest one they've been in.

Venetia curls the bottom of her hair in boredom, "I don't want to say I need your expertise. Don't make me say it, Thomas."

While she could hire another estate agent, who's less brash than Olivier Deco, to walk her through the basics, Venetia had a hunch that the ex-carpenter would know a thing or two about buying a decent home.

"Fuck it. I'll be there," he chuckles, sounding rather young and boyish through the mic. Relieved, Venetia silently staggers backwards into the cupboards behind her waist. For a moment she thought he'd be a prick and deny her of his assistance. "Text me the place and time of the appointment, yeah?" Venetia narrows her eyes in confusion.