12. Game Over - Part II

DAISY

After St. Paul's blew up, I was hiding in the underground bunker, completely unsure of what to do with my life. I knew that I wanted to continue the Fear Games someday, but there was a part of me that thought maybe I should let it go. Because everyone assumed I was dead, it was like I could start over with my life and do whatever I wanted. No one expected that I'd still be alive because no one knew that the underground bunkers even existed. So, when I was sure that the investigation at St. Paul's was over, I set off to start a new life for myself.

That was when I found myself leaving Nevada and I ended up in Massachusetts where I met Jacob Walker.

I was in the process of changing my name to Charlotte—I thought it was cute and different, something that I could get used to being called on a regular basis—when I went to a local coffee shop to get an iced green tea to sip on through the morning. While I stood in line, Jacob Walker came up behind me. He was pretty cute, and he was immediately attracted to me.

He smiled at me and said, "Hey."

"Hey," I said, returning his smile. This was the perfect opportunity for me to have a normal relationship, to start totally fresh and new. I asked, "What brings you in here today?"

"Trying to get an iced coffee," he said. "I've got school in half an hour and need the energy."

"Oh yeah?" I said. "What are you studying, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Just General Studies at the moment," he said. "I'm not quite sure what I want to do. Haven't gotten that far yet. You probably know how it is."

I had been a college student in Nevada before starting the Fear Games, so I did have a sense of familiarity with what he was talking about. When I was next in line, I ordered my green tea, then said to him, "What do you want in your iced coffee?"

"Are you serious?" he asked with a laugh. "You're paying for my drink? Aren't I supposed to do that for you?"

I shrugged. "No one ever said that I was old fashioned."

When we both got our drinks, we walked out of the shop together and I said, "Hey, I know this is probably really blunt, but would you be interested in seeing each other again sometime? Maybe go out for adult beverages?"

"I'd honestly like that," Jacob said. "Let me give you my phone number. Just make sure to text or call me."

I called him later that evening, and when we went out, we had the best time. I knew that this was the guy that I wanted to restart my life with. There was no need for him to know anything about me or my past. It was absolutely perfect.

The perfection didn't last long, though. A few months into our relationship, I realized that I was pregnant with who would later become Jax Walker. Right before I gave birth—and I have no idea how this was even possible—Jacob found out my real identity, and he was pissed.

"How could you fucking lie to me?" Jacob screamed at me one evening just days before I gave birth to Jax.

"I did it because I wanted a new life for myself!" I shouted back at him. "How can you not believe me? I really do love you!"

"You don't know how to love anyone," Jacob muttered, then stormed out of the house. That was the last time I saw Jacob for a very long time. I had Jax a few days later and gave him up for adoption, which was the hardest decision I ever had to make. I kept the adoption open though, so that I was able to see him whenever I could.

I found out later that Jacob reported me to the police, but to my luck they did not believe a word he said. I knew that it was no longer safe for me to be around my son, because the police could have changed their mind at any minute and arrested me. If I wanted any possibility of ever seeing Jax again someday, I needed to leave Massachusetts and start over again somewhere else. I fled back to Nevada, and Jacob followed me, where he eventually found Eden. I'm sure at first he was using her to get information on me, but I do believe he truly loved her before he married her.