Best Friends Life (Part 2)

Here you go! More angst! Woohoo!

***********************************

A familiar high-pitched laugh drew Kennedy's focus away from her research and to the doors of the library. Through the glass panes, she saw Layla wrapping her arms around Harrison's neck, smiling up at him. Kennedy grimaced and stopped herself from throwing up in her mouth.

When she looked from where Layla clung to Harrison to Harrison's face, she paused. He wore an easy smile, one that she had seen a million times. It was a smile that wasn't forced, wasn't put on for appearance. It was a true smile.

Sadness seeped into Kennedy's chest. It was such a pathetic reaction that she crossed her arms, staring at the couple deciding to face the facts. Her best friend liked this girlfriend. She wouldn't use the word love because she didn't believe it ran that deep, but he cared for Layla even if Kennedy thought his emotions were stupid and misdirected. Still, there was no denying the way he smiled down at the girl in his arms.

Since this was the case, she knew she needed to make a decision. There was no changing Harrison's mind on anything, she learned this from a lifetime of friendship. That meant she either needed to stop being his friend so she could avoid feeling the twist of pain she did around him or shut down her feelings for him.

The first option wasn't an option at all. He knew her like no one else. They were as close as two people could be in her mind. He understood her moods and counterbalanced her. She would never say he was her other half because as her mother pointed out a woman didn't need a man to complete them but a partner to stick by them. And Harrison was Kennedy's partner. So stopping the friendship wasn't the way to go.

That left only the second option: shut down her feelings.

As a planner, Kennedy fully believed she could do this. It was simple, she knew all of Harrison's flaws, and using them would help disconnect her heart from the positives of his personality.

There was no time like the present and with Harrison still engaged in a conversation with his girlfriend, Kennedy got to work mentally making a list.

First off, Harrison was a boy. One who farted at will. It was a constant annoyance especially when he would only laugh at her outrage.

He talked with his mouth full at times.

He would be on his phone in the middle of a conversation and leave his sentences hanging for seconds before completing them or never completing them at all.

He wore the same shirt to school multiple days in a row.

He only took ten minutes to get ready for school and made fun of Kennedy for taking twenty-five.

In defense lessons he was able to pin her to the mat faster than she could pin him at times.

He didn't know how to clean a gun or shoot, and for some reason having a distaste for them.

He burped in Kennedy's face.

He stole her food.

Kennedy kept going, finding there were many things about Harrison that plainly annoyed and angered her that he didn't care that it did. As each item was added she felt herself relaxing. She knew all of Harrison's flaws and it was easy to see why her feelings were all wrong. He wasn't worth the time. There was no reason she should like him.

When the library door opened and Harrison rushed in, Kennedy felt confident that what she had thought she felt for Harrison was over or finding its way to termination.

Then he smiled at her.

She hated him. She truly hated him.

Harrison nudged Kennedy's arm, frowning in puzzlement. "Kenny?"