27. COMPASS

2016 | AVENGERS COMPOUND — The rest of the Avengers were devastated

2016 | AVENGERS COMPOUND — The rest of the Avengers were devastated. Neither of them found rest or sleep since what happened a few weeks ago. Hydra has reclaimed their so-called Weapons of Destruction. Wanda, Bucky and Ariel. All three of them were gone...

They were able to short out the compound's security system if only for a few minutes. When they found out that besides Maximoff, their Siren was also hiding with the Avengers, they already planned the whole thing. It was just pure luck for Hydra that their precious winter soldier was also hiding here in secret. By hacking the system, they played the individual commands and manipulation through the loudspeakers in the right rooms.

Three books for three of their experiments.
The soldier. The witch. The mermaid.

Each of the victims subjected to mind control made their way outside in their hypnotized state, where they were taken to the base by a cloaked Hydra jet. It might only have been a few weeks, but the rest of them still blamed themselves for what happened. Tony in particular was struggling because after the Ultron thing he had hoped to get his peace from "Huge Tech Issues". Steve blamed himself too, he wanted his friends to be safe... to be free. He felt as if he had let them down.

Natasha, too, worried and sat at her laptop constantly, looking for any clues. But where should she start? Her friends could be anywhere. Maybe in Europe? somewhere in Asia? Or they could still be in America? The Black-Widow found neither sleep nor rest and was searching for information day and night. Even Clint helped with the search and stayed at the compound for a few nights.

One evening Steve Rogers was sitting in his seat at the dining table, all alone. He looked ahead and saw Bucky's empty seat. He exhaled sharply and let his eyes wander to the seat to his left instead.

He swallowed knowing it was Ariel's place. He felt this slightly aching pressure in his heart. Frustrated, he propped his elbows on the table in front of him and held his head in his hands. He closed his eyes in despair and was haunted by memories of her.

Steve sat alone in his seat at the dining table, reading an older book. It was a history book that interestingly included his own story as well. Concentrated, he devoured the contents of the book until a curious redhead sat down next to him. "Hey." She greeted him, with her kindest smile. Ariel placed a small bowl of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries (which Wanda had made for her) on the table in front of her. Steve greeted her back and stared nervously back into his book, but because of her presence he had completely forgotten which part of the text he was looking at.