24

"This is where you live?" Arthur was examining Merlin's flat with interest, and perhaps a bit of judgement.

"Not up to your standards?" Merlin asked, going to the kitchen to get a pot of coffee started. Arthur had never particularly enjoyed coffee, preferring sweeter things. Humanity had also not quite figured out how to make good coffee in his time, it really only ever being used as a tool for staying awake; the guards especially had a tendency to sneak into the castle kitchens on occasion for some.

Merlin himself had even been known to bring Gwaine coffee on those nights when he'd gotten in trouble and been stuck on guard duty. It was a fairly often occurrence to find the high-ranking knight with the guards because he'd annoyed Arthur by having a particularly drink-heavy night out. 

"Perfectly adequate," Arthur replied. Merlin looked at him in surprise. "Gwen always told me not to judge the lower-class housing accommodations." 

Merlin snorted and turned back to pouring water into the coffee maker. "That might have been the most backhanded compliment I've ever received." Only Arthur could explain a moment of kindness in such an insulting way.

"This is a...teevee?" Merlin shook his head, keeping his back turned towards Arthur to hide his quiet laughter.

"A television. Or a tv. Yes."

"They had one of these at the other place. Moving pictures. Incredible." Merlin pressed the start button on the coffee maker and turned to watch as Arthur stared at the television, which was off at the moment, though you wouldn't know from the way Arthur was staring at the glossy black screen.

"A lot of technological advancements have been made since you've been gone."

"So I've noticed. Those vehicles that move without the aid of a horse."

"Cars," Merlin supplied with a nod.

"Yes. So much has changed." Merlin could hear both awe and a touch of fear in Arthur's voice. Of course he'd be a little afraid. Merlin had been able to adapt as time passed; he'd even helped with some of the discoveries. Arthur had just been thrown into a world that was completely different from the one he'd lived his life in.

"We'll have plenty of time to get you acquainted with the world as it is."

"What happened to Camelot?" Merlin had been expecting the question, but it didn't make it any easier to hear. "It evidently fell." Merlin winced as memories tried to invade. "What happened?" Arthur turned, and his pleading gaze was enough for Merlin to sigh with resignation. He deserved to know, even if Merlin would rather not relive it.

"Sit." Merlin gestured to the couch, and Arthur, for once, obeyed immediately. Merlin did not join him right away, gathering his thoughts and memories. He wanted to tell this story as coherently as possible, because he didn't think he could bear to tell it twice without breaking down.

He took a deep breath and sat beside Arthur. Arthur faced him, but Merlin, unable to meet his eyes, stared straight into the black screen of the television as he began the story of what exactly had happened to Camelot in Arthur's absence.

"Gwen was a wonderful ruler. Fair and just, but strong. While she was Queen, Camelot enjoyed an era of near complete peace. No nations dared attack, and she was so beloved by the people that threats from within the kingdom were nonexistent. Sorcery was no longer outlawed; it was Gwen's first decree upon my return, partially so that I could stay and not be executed or forced to flee.

Apparently, Gaius had all but told her that I was a sorcerer. Despite the fact that I wasn't able to save you, she never held it against me. She was simply too kind. She appointed me the court sorcerer, a position that I was meant to hold until I died. We didn't yet know that that was never going to happen.