It Takes a Soldier

"The end of New York? What the hell does that mean?" I asked.
"There's an agency called the Divatel. It's head is a man who goes by the name Magnus. Nobody knows who he is or anything about him. Just that he leads the organization."
"What's he planning to do?"
"You'll know when you're ready, Matty. But for now, you need to be focused on the mission, instead of beating up thugs on the streets. You're worth so much more than that. I didn't train you to stop low-level scum. I trained you to be a warrior."
I scoffed. "What, so protecting the city at night is below your pay grade?"
"Arrogant, hubristic, pretentious. Just like your father. Worse than him, even. Born to die Jeopardy Jack. Y'know why we called him that? Huh, Matty?"
I clenched my fists.
"It's because he was a terrible fighter. Screwed up every mission. Jeapordized 'em. Why do ya think we were stranded so long? Why do you think he ain't here with us now?"
I took a swing at him. He twisted it, and swung me around into a headlock. "You can't stop me Matty. You've tried- you're weak. Pathetic. Arrogant. Just like your old man. You have no place in this fight. I thought you'd learned since the island, but you're not ready. And now, I don't know if you ever will be."
At first I thought he was trying to get a rise out of me, but now he just seemed.. disappointed.

FLASHBACK: BAY OF HELL

I ran around him, dodging the wind around the sticks being flung at me. I jumped onto the bark of the tree and did a flip off of it, reaching over, mid-air, to catch one of the wooden sticks, and then threw it back at Abaddon. It struck his hand, forcing him to drop the pile of 'em he carried in his hand. Then, I ran towards him, throwing and dodging punches. As my fist neared his face, he grabbed my wrist and twisted me around. His arm reached around my neck, putting me in a headlock. I struggled to escape. "Dead." He said, releasing his grip. "But better. Once we finish this technique, we're gonna start with swords. Try not to get sliced up like cucumbers." I chuckled. "Sounds scary."
"That's why you've gotta control your emotions, Matty. Know what you're doing. Stay calm, collected."
"How?" I asked.
"By meditating. It can help you get stronger, more focused. It can even help you heal your wounds faster."
"You can do that?"
"How do you think I'm still alive, kid?"
"Awesome."
"Give him a break." My dad said, walking up to us. "I got dinner." He waved a dead bird at us, and then threw it at Abaddon.

TODAY:

I kicked his knee, grabbed his arm, and then flipped him over. I expected him to thud against the ground, but he landed on his feet in front of me. Abaddon quickly threw a punch, but I stepped left to dodge it. He only chuckled. "Took you years to get outta that one."
"I've learned a lot since you've been gone."
"Oh yeah? Like what?" He said, throwing another punch. I blocked it, and then tried to karate chop him, but he grabbed my arm. I kicked him, and then moved away. "Like you're a dick, for instance." I replied.
"Yeah, you're probably right about that one."
"I am." I quickly fired back.
"Got any beer?"
I chuckled. "Yeah, in the fridge." I replied.
"I'll bet it's that German piss, isn't it?" He said, nearing the refrigerator.
"So are you gonna elaborate on this 'war'? Or is the suspense supposed to kill me? Who even are these people?"
"Ah, the Japanese now mostly."
"Look, Abaddon, I don't want you tearing up New York trying to go after the head of this.."
"..Divatel," Abaddon said, finishing my sentence. "Look kid, you don't even know what's going on in your own backyard. The man at the top goes by a lotta names, but mostly, as I told you earlier, Magnus. His men arrived at a safe house earlier today."
"So if you wanted him so badly, why didn't you stop him?"
"I don't want him. Not yet. I want what's on the ship him and his men are gonna meet with at the docks in the morning."
"What is it? Drugs?"
"More like a weapon. They call it Kaze. Japanese for shadow."
"A weapon? What kind?"
"The kind you don't want in your city."
"Do you know anything about the weapon?"
"I know a lotta things. This beer, for example, sucks."
"Just admit it, Abaddon."
"Admit what?"
"Admit that you need my help."
"Not gonna say that." He told me, taking a sip of his beer.
"All this talk about cutting your friends loose and here you are."
"I don't need a friend, I need a soldier. Committed and ready. Not some stupid idealist holding on to half measures."
"You don't know anything about me. Not anymore, Abaddon."
"Kid, these are facts. In war, people die. If it ain't you, it's the guy next to you. How many men have you killed protecting this city?"
Silence. He threw his arms up in the air, annoyed. "You're still afraid to cross that line, huh? Someday, it will come down to you or the other guy, what're you gonna do then?"
I didn't say anything. "Ah, screw it. Ride with me tonight, Matty." Abaddon said. "Help me destroy the Kaze- keep it off the streets. This city will love you for it, I promise you that."
"Fine. One rule. No killing."
He sighed, clearly frustrated, and then raised his right hand. "I promise I will not kill anybody."
I nodded back, satisfied.
He stood up, took a large sip, and set his beer on the counter.
"Pussy."