54

Sana's Pov

The next day, Tony introduced us to his family. They greeted us with smiles, assuring us that we would be safe here.  We thanked them for their warm welcome to us.  It makes me feel better, knowing that we managed to find good people as temporary companions.

Temporary, yes. We still can't break away from our plan to go to the Sanctuary.  There, we will be more safer.  We will also need the help of the people there to find and rescue Mina and Y/n .  I believe that they are still alive.

We are currently eating breakfast with Tony's family. There's plenty of food at the table: eggs, bacon, fried rice and slices of tomatoes. I can no longer remember the last time I ate well. It's a blessing that we met Tony last night.

Tzuyu is beside me, looking uncomfortable. It is because one of Tony's kids, Myla, wouldn't stop staring at her. She hardly pays any attention to her mother every time she tries to feed her.  Tzuyu's cheeks were already red and she could barely look up at her plate. Seeing her like this makes me feel giddy. I can tell from her expression that she's not used to being around with kids.

To my left, Irene is busy talking to Dr.  Roberto Sanchez.  She asks the scientist about the vaccine that caused him not to be affected by the syndrome spread by extra-terrestrial beings.  They were also talking about the documents we found at the Blue House.

Apparently, a certain Dr. Jefferson Bartolome had written those documents. He is the youngest scientist working for the government.  He formed a team of scientists for an important job because he is already having a bad feeling about the President's actions.

"Dr.  Bartolome is the head of our team.  Since he got his license he has been working for the government," Dr. Roberto said. "We are all ten on the team.  He instructed us to make a vaccine for a strange airborne virus.  That was the first time I had seen that kind of virus.  When we tried to ask where he got that, he didn’t give us an answer.  All he said was, we need to finish the vaccine as soon as possible."

We were all quietly listening to him.  Even Momo temporarily stopped herself for eating to focus on the scientist.

"But after a few days, your father and I couldn't stand it anymore." Dr. Roberto looked at Irene. "We asked him what the vaccine was really for, and finally, he told us the truth."

"Did he say anything about the alliance of the President and the extra-terrestrial beings?" Irene asked. "Something that would help us understand why he would do such a thing.  Why he would betray his own race."

The old man shook his head.  "All he said was that the President was acting strangely. He often just locked himself in his office, with the girl sent by extra-terrestrial beings. He hardly talked to his other employees anymore."

Tzuyu leans forward. "Can you tell us more about the virus?"

"I wish I could tell you more about it." Dr. Roberto sigh.  "But we didn't have enough time to study the virus thoroughly. We barely even had enough time to complete the vaccine. All I know is that the virus is unnatural, something that has been specifically made to cripple the  entire human race."

"Where is Dr.  Bartolome?" Irene asked." Do you have any news about him?"

The old man just shook his head in response.

"How about the President?" Tzuyu ask again. "Why is he awake? You said that Dr. Bartolome was the one who asked you to create the vaccine."

"Yes, he did, and he did it of his own accord, not because someone instructed him to do so. There was a leakage of information, because one of the scientists on our team reported to the President about the vaccine.  That was why he was able to get his hands on it as well."

Breakfast ended with a many running questions in my mind.  I feel like I'm even more confused by what's going on.  Even so we still haven’t forgotten to thank Dr.  Roberto on the information he gave us.

To show courtesy, I decided to help Tony's wife, Amy, to clean the table and wash the dirty dishes. She is a very talkative lady, and I admire that about her. We didn’t have an awkward moment, and we talked a lot.  She kind of reminds me of my Mom.

I miss her.  I hope she is safe.

After clearing the dining room table, I went back to our room.  I also don't know what to do.  I found Tzuyu inside peeking out the window.  She watches Dahyun and Chaeyoung playing with Myla and Milo.

"Why don't you join them?" I ask her.

She look at me first before shaking her head. "I don't like playing with kids."

"But you want to." I shrug. "I can see it on your face."

She just shook her head and sat on the bed. She really is a mysterious girl.  Out of all of my companions, she is the only one who I know little about.  She doesn't talk much when not being talked to, and she also doesn't like to tell stories about her life.

It makes me want to crack her open and take a little peek inside of her.

"Do you think Dr. Roberto told us everything he knows?"

I sit down beside her. "Of course," I replies. "Why would he keep an information?"

She shrugs. "I don't know... I guess, I just don't really trust him."

I let out a chuckle. "You don't trust anyone."

"...but I trust you." she lifts her gaze to look at me. I can't help but to look right back. There was something in his eyes, something deep and lonely and mysterious but at the same time, beautiful.

"I want to know who you are, Chou," I tell her without thinking about it first.

She flashes a timid smile, something that she rarely do. Then she stands up and walks to the door. Before she is completely out of the room, she turns to look back at me.

I wait for her to say something, but she just stares at me.

Then after a moment, she walks away.

Leaving me breathless.