CHAPTER 23: PARIS

I roll over and look at the ceiling of Clay's room. He's typing away on his computer with some last minute emails. I finished my work and emailed it to my client half an hour ago, left with absolutely nothing to do.

I sigh dramatically, hoping to get Clay's attention, but I only get an eye roll as he continues typing.

"Can we go do something?" I ask as I turn on my side to look at him. He's sitting on the floor instead of the bean bag chair today with his back up against the wall. I move the curtain of his window a bit and look at the sun. "It's really nice out today."

He shakes his head slowly while his eyes stay trained on the screen in front of him. "I can't go today."

I pout. "Why not?"

"There's this thing called being faceless." He gives me a pointed look meaning that he really can't ever go anywhere on a nice day.

"Oh right," I nod, trying to hide my disappointment. "That."

"Yeah, that." His lips curve up a bit. "Nick said he was going to do this one thing today, but he might skip it if you wanted to do something."

I face back towards the ceiling. "Nah, I'm okay here."

"I'm almost done," he promises, "but then I need to call George about some stuff."

My head quickly turns back to him. "That means at least two more hours, Clay."

"No it doesn't."

"Yes it does."

He sighs. "Whatever, it's not my fault you can't sit still. What would you be doing if I weren't here?"

"Dying," I say. His eyes cut to me, and I choose a different option. "I'd board an airplane and go to..." I glance around the room but get absolutely nothing. "Paris."

He raises his brows. "Paris?" I nod, and he laughs. "So I'm the one thing keeping you from Paris?"

"That and money," I say with a smile. "I guess we could say you keep me grounded."

He shakes his head once. "I don't know if I'd phrase it that way."

"How would you phrase it?" I ask.

"Maybe you're stuck."

"I'm not stuck." I put my hands up in defense. "I have the freedom to go wherever as I please. I just prefer to be here."

"Here and bored out of your mind?"

I open my mouth to reply, but Nick's walking into Clay's room. I've noticed that both of them knock as they're opening the door, which defeats the entire purpose of knocking. Not that Clay and I are hiding anything and Nick knows that, but everyone in this house just opens whatever doors they want as they please.

"Hey Clay?" Nick asks as he enters, putting his phone in his pocket.

Clay partially closes his laptop to look at Nick, something he didn't do for me while I was talking.. "Yeah?"

"Which room do you want me to clear out?" Nick asks, staying in the doorway of the room.

"He said he prefers to be upstairs since it won't be near the kitchen or anything." Clay shrugs. "So I would do one of the rooms by yours."

"Wow," Nick says almost arrogantly, "How does that make you feel?"

Clay rolls his eyes while my brows are furrowed, unable to piece two and two for this conversation. "What are you guys talking about?" I ask.

"George is moving in," Clay says as causally as he can, but he can't help but smile.

"And you didn't tell me?" I ask. I know I've only talked to him twice, but I feel like I know him personally just from the stories I've heard. "When is he coming?"

"In a little less than a week." Nick leans against the wall. "Like five days."

I turn towards Clay. "Are you excited?"

"Why don't you ask me?" Nick's jaw is dropped in fake-offense.

I wave it off. "You've already met him. It's Clay that hasn't."

Clay smiles. "I'm excited. I feel like it's been in the works for like two years, so it's a bit surreal."

I nod, sort of understanding what that means. I can tell he's trying to downplay his excitement since he's been going on and on about it since I met him a couple months ago.

"Oh, your mom texted me," Nick says as he grabs his phone.

Clay's head shoots up to Nick. "Why?"

"To ask if we needed any food," Nick says casually.

"Your mom has Nick's number?" I ask.

"Apparently."

"Why is this so strange?" Nick laughs. "Anyways, she asked if you want chicken or lamb."

"Lamb unless it's when George will be here, then chicken," Clay answers smoothly.

"Damn, already changing your choices based on him." Nick shakes his head as he turns to leave. "What is this house going to become when he gets here?"

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

i had some plot holes that i'm trying to work out for later haha so if there's some things that are being said a lot in the next couple chapters it's because i didn't establish them at the beginning lol

have an amazing day :))