Let's Play Pretend!

*Jonathan.*

*Jonathan!!*

I jerked awake, looking around wildly from Becky's shout in my head. Here is a small note; when you have an entity living inside your head, not even earplugs can shut them out! His call had shot through my head like a trumpet!

"Whu....what is it?!" Sleep still addled my brain as I rubbed at my head.

*We have visitors, visitors of the unfriendly type.*

That woke me up!

I jumped out of bed, looking around as though I expected to be attacked at any moment, eyes darting from shadow to shadow seeking for attackers.

*They are not in the house yet. We have a moment or two.*

A crash from below, the sound of breaking glass.

*Or maybe not.*

Yeah, ya think?!

Now I had a big problem. Could I stop these guys? Probably, and with not much effort. But, if I did, then they would know who I was and what I could do. At the same time, the idea of being beaten to a pulp, or worse, did not appeal at all!

*Your body should be able to resist their blows.* Becky reminded me. 

Okay, fair point. The density of my skin, bones, and organs made it so nothing short of a high-powered bullet should be able to damage me. Their fists should be nothing to me. 

So, how good an actor was I?

I was about to find out!

I saw flashlights weaving down the hall toward my room, and quickly slid back into bed. I pretended to be asleep when they came into the room. There were at least a dozen of them. They grabbed me from my bed, two of them, big muscular men held me against the wall, my arms up and away from my body. As they did so, I looked around in pretended confusion, trying to act like I had no idea what was going on.

"Who...who are you?! What do you want?!" 

I tried to make my voice sound as frightened as possible as I acted the part of a scared house owner in an attempt to through them off. 

Their leader turned out to be Phone Guy, the leader of the ones pretending to rob the bank. He came up with a sadistic grin on his face, eyes alight in evil anticipation of what he was about to do. 

"Yeah, he's the right size, that's for sure. Any others in the area fitting his description?" He asked the crew around him.

"We found one other, about two miles East. Similar build to this one and within the same radius of the search area." A lean-looking, rat-faced guy in leather said, his voice a sibiliantly soft tone that sent chills down my spine.  I could see that one using a knife on someone and enjoying every moment. 

Rat face continued, his voice full of contempt. "The other one is one of THEM." 

The crew around me made disgusted faces, a few spitting on the ground at that news. I had no idea who THEM was but, given who these guys seemed to be, I could take a good guess. 

"Now...." Phone Guy grabbed my jaw and jerked my head so I was looking him in the eyes. His eyes were hard flints, cold ice that held my gaze like a preator might eye its prey just before killing it.

He spent a few minutes turning my face from side to side, clearly looking for something that might tell him I was the one he wanted. Thankfully, the mask Becky made hid my face completely, and the eye slits would have made it almost impossible to see the shape or the colour of my eyes.