Ch. 7

With a quiet but frustrated sigh, she shut the last book and stared at the pile on the table next to her. Absolutely none of them had anything to say on Horcruxes, and while she was extremely disappointed, she wasn't entirely surprised.

"Are you going to let me help you now?"

"Nope." She stood up from the chair, downing the rest of her tea and grabbing the pile of books to put them back.

She could feel his eyes on her as she returned the books to their place on the shelves, and as she moved to the bookshelves on the other wall she heard a sigh.

"I know you're looking for something to do with the dark arts," He said, watching her from his chair with his chin in his hand. "If you tell me, I might be able to help you find it faster."

"Frankly, I'm starting to doubt that you have anything on this subject as it's a very difficult subject," Hermione said, pulling a book off the shelf and continuing in her search. "And while I appreciate the offer, I still don't think telling you is a good idea because I don't know what you're going to do with the information."

There was another sigh from him that she tried to ignore as she pulled a second book off the shelf, and soon enough she had another stack of books that she had set on the table. She paused before sitting down, glancing at her empty mug and then reaching for it. She made her way back towards the kitchen, pausing again in the doorway and wrestling over whether or not she should make one for him as well. After all, he had made her one without her asking and he had been nothing but nice so far...

"Would you like another cup of tea?" She asked finally, turning around to look at him.

She could see the surprise in his eyes as he looked up and he glanced to look at his mug before saying quietly, "I'm okay, thank you."

She disappeared into the kitchen, heading towards the stove and searching through the cabinets. Eventually she found the tea and saw that he had collected a few different kinds, mostly blends of black tea. He didn't strike her as the type of person who would drink some of the teas that she found, but at the same time it wasn't as if she knew him very well.

After deciding on another plain black tea, she leaned against the counter and looked around as she waited for her water to boil. Her attention focused on the large window and the waves coming up onto the beach.

If things were different, she could see herself having a cottage very similar to this one eventually; somewhere on the beach away from everyone else. She had brought it up before when the group was talking about their futures to subtly see what Ron would think, but he never seemed as interested in the idea, and while she used to imagine the two of them together walking down the beach towards their cottage, she couldn't imagine it as easily anymore. Not after he left...

The kettle whistling brought her of her thoughts and she was silently grateful for it as she made her tea; she knew she would have to confront her now-conflicting feelings about Ron eventually, but they could wait until after everything was said and done.

If she ever got the chance to leave.

She scowled at the thought as she grabbed her mug and walked back into the library room, ignoring the blond sitting in the chair across from her as she sat down. She was somewhat surprised when he didn't say anything to her, but if anything she appreciated that he didn't disturb her while she was actively reading. Of course, he was reading as well, but it was nice.

Ron always interrupted...

She scowled again and groaned to herself, adjusting in her chair and pulling her legs up to curl up as she reached for the first book in the new stack and opened it up to the index.