Fourteen

(Short chapter, sorry)

Ava

He had driven us towards the outskirts of Los Angeles, by the water. I looked around as he grabbed the motorcycle helmet from my hold and took a moment to view the marina. It belonged to the golf club that we had gone trough to get here. And the golf club, of course, belonged to Domenico De Luca. Or, Domenico James De Luca, to be exact. It sounds odd, I know.

As we had neared the gate to the golf club, I caught a glimpse of the sign painted with black and grey letters. D.D.L Club di Golf. Domenico De Luca Golf Club.

"What does a mafia boss need a golf club for anyways?" I asked. "Entertainment between shooting the heads off enemies?"

He rolled his eyes playfully before he answered. "It's a good place to meet clients. As well as bring in some money, I suppose."

We sauntered alongside one another across the pier, enjoying the gentle breeze drifting in from the waves and the silence of being completely alone. I focused on the feeling of his fingers wrapped with mine and gave his hand a squeeze.

While he was away, I had undergone a major flood of anxiety, partly because I fearing him getting hurt. James never doubted his skills, yet at times I wondered if he overestimated his abilities. He might be authoritative and stoic, but everyone has their weakness. I just hoped that naivety wasn't his.

"When you said that you had a special night planned, I wasn't expecting a romantic stroll around the golf course." I told him.

"Are you dissatisfied, bambina?" He asked, teasing me with a grin.

"No, of course not. I like it. Feels more like a real date."

He placed his lips gently on my temple and shrugged his shoulders as we continued walking.

"No, it's alright. I'm pretty bored too."

James, it's been two minutes.

I laughed at his comment. "What, just because there aren't any ex's or bad guys to distract us? I'm aware of the gun in your waistband, so at least we're somewhat prepared."

"I love every moment with you, my love. I just love it even more when it's just you and me, so that I can have you all to myself." He stated, smiling down at me.

"We're alone right now, mi amor." I chuckled, a bit confused of where he was getting at.

"Yes, but wouldn't we be more alone on...something like that?"

My gaze trailed after his. In front of us, around the corner of the pier, I was able to glimpse a cloud of lights. Walking closer, an enormous yacht dressed with tinted glass and cursive letters colored in gold, opened up. It was an unimaginable size, yet I wasn't surprised that James owned at least one of these.