FORTY SIX

XLVI

OBLIVION . . . 𝑏𝘰𝘰𝑘 1
﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌
Rafe Cameron ━━━ CALLISTA MAYBANK
He soon learnt that in this world the only person he could really count on was the girl.

ACT ONE

━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━

"What the fuck are you doing here?" JJ snapped once his eyes landed on Rafe, who was holding his sisters hand. "Get away from her."

Rafe slowly turned to look at JJ, his eyes flickered up and down him, taking in his appearance. JJ's eyes were bloodshot and his cheeks were tear stained. His knuckles were swollen and his clothes were soaked, probably from the storm that was currently happening outside.

"I said get away from her." JJ repeated stronger.

The anger that boiled up inside him every time he looked down, her hand in Rafe's was becoming too much.

Rafe scoffed and stood up, puffing out his chest and crossing his arms to appear more intimidating. His eyes narrowed on the boy, he didn't want to say anything that he would regret incase Cal could actually hear them, like he was led to believe.

"Why are you here?" JJ clenched his fists, pushing them deep into his pockets. He needed to keep his anger in check.

"Why do you think I'm here?" Rafe raised his brows.

JJ had a clue. He was slowly piecing it all together. The late night phone calls he over heard. The sneaking out in the middle of the night. The way Cal was so much happier.

"No." JJ shook his head. "No fucking way." His jaw tightened angrily. "You're not fucking my sister."

"No, I'm not. Don't make it sound like I'm just having sex with her then ignoring her calls." Rafe was angered with the way that JJ had worded what his and Cal's relationship was. "I love her."

JJ scoffed. He ran his hand over his face in disbelief. There was no way that the person who had been making Cal so happy recently was Rafe Cameron.

"You can't love her. You shot Peterkin!"

"Shut up! She can hear you." Rafe shouted, using his hand to cover JJ's mouth.

The blonde boy was quick to bat Rafe's hand off of him. He looked over to Cal, wondering if she could actually hear them or not. He would like it if she could hear them, after all it would have made her feel less alone.

"Who do you thinks been paying for the room, JJ? Who do you think brought her here? Who do you think called the cops on your dad?" With every question there was a brief pause, which gave JJ just enough time to think about the answer. "It was your dad who put her here. Your fucking dad."

Rafe's breathing became uneven. He had to run his hand over his face and turn to look at the girl to calm himself. He had to remember to stay grounded.

"You should have protected her, JJ." Rafe hissed. "She needed you and you weren't there. Do you know how many promises you broke?" He paused. "When you told her you were coming home, but you never did, and she got hurt. Do you know who she called?"

JJ lowered his head guiltily. He was so caught up with the idea of finding the Royal Merchant Gold so that him and Cal could have a better life away from their dad.

"It wasn't you, was it, JJ?" Rafe let out an angry laugh. "No. It was me. I cleaned her cuts. I gave her a place to stay that was safe. I looked after her." He paused once again. "ME! But it was your job. Your her fucking brother." He ran his hand over his face. "Not just her brother but her God Damn twin. That shit should mean more."

"I know." JJ felt like he needed to explain himself. Not to Rafe, but to Cal. "I came to tell her that John B and Sarah didn't make it." He then realised that he had just told Rafe that his own sister had just died. "I'm sorry."

He knew that Cal would want him to still be civil with Rafe despite everything that has happened between them. He loved his sister and would do anything for her, even if that meant sitting in a room with Rafe Cameron on his own for hours on end.

"Thanks for paying for the room." JJ muttered reluctantly. He didn't want to thank him. He wanted to be proud and say that they didn't need his money. That they could afford a room for her on their own, but he knew that Rafe would know that he was lying.

"I love her, JJ. Money isn't an issue. I want her to get better." Rafe grabbed Cal's hand once again. He
liked that she was warm to touch again and that she had colour in her cheeks. It gave him hope.

The room fell into an uncomfortable silence. Neither of them wanted to speak to one another but both of them wanted to speak to Cal. Rafe wasn't going to leave. He didn't care that JJ was her family. He wanted to be beside her every second that he could.

JJ watched Rafe carefully. He noticed the way that he was caressing her knuckles with his thumb and the way that he looked at her so lovingly. He hated to admit it - in fact it made him feel physically sick - but he could see how much Rafe cared about Cal.

Rafe cleared his throat before getting ready to announce something that he knew would be risky, but he wanted to let JJ know that it wasn't just for his dad. That Cal had played a part in what happened to Peterkin too. So, he licked his bottom lip and said,

"I didn't kill Peterkin to save my dad." He paused. "I killed Peterkin for her."

socials
instagram ~ vxidcameron & em.newman
snapchat ~ emilynewman1234
tik tok ~ vxidbucky & leeandhan