Chapter 41. Holy Father

The moonlight shone unto the tip of the Church's cross.

Lucilline was mesmerized, his delicate golden eyes fully enraptured in the view of the moon. Wisps of flickering grey clouds floated near the shadowy sky, painting the blank canvas into an elegant portrait.

"Is everyone here?" A domineering voice snapped him out of stupor.

Dimitri fixed his suit and collar, and his locks of golden hair drifted through the dancing breeze. He coughed, alerting the Royal Knights who'd been standing guard.

Lucilline had brought his spear, crafted by an excellent blacksmith founded by House Rubius.

Beside him was Daphnne, who'd held onto the rose-hilted sword that she'd taken from S Academy. Azalea also had a sword of his own, while Percival held a standard bow, the ends curved slightly at the centre. The brown-haired nobleman had a bag of arrows by his side, all pointed and scraped sharp.

A skirt swished in the wind.

Willow patted down her maid dress, her silver and white-tinted hair matching the monochromatic style of her outfit. She did not carry any weapons—her brute strength was more than enough.

By her side, Augustine stood dressed in his butler suit. His taut and yet bulging muscular body seemed to stretch his outwear, tightening the fabric around his figure. He carried many daggers, the point sharpened to emit a dangerous glow. His boots were also made of leather. Every step he made was light as a feather, unable to be detected nor heard of.

"We're all ready." Lucilline confirmed to the Crown Prince.

He swept his eyes onto the Royal Knights—then noticed a familiar figure. Jacques met eyes with the black-haired nobleman.

Lucilline, "..."

Jacques, "..."

They quickly averted gazes.

Lucilline wore a deadpanned expression, nothing flickering in his eyes. Nothing seemed to change in him. But his thoughts clearly stated different. Is that really the mage who I had scolded off earlier? Nobody told me that he would be apart of the Royal Knights! What is he doing here?

Jacques also remained neutral, but his mind was a chaotic abyss. That pretty boy is the third son of Duke Rubius!?! I never knew that his position on the hierarchy would be so high!

Nobody around them noticed anything amiss.

"Then let's begin guarding." Dimitri ordered. He began splitting the teams, with Lucilline and his friends assigned to the east, a portion of the Royal Knights at the west, south, then at the north. Many were also ordered to guard inside the Church, in case of any secret infiltration. Dimitri took the lead in guarding at the north.

At first, nothing happened.

Lucilline stood guard, his spear positioned on the ground. None of them dared to let down their guards.

"...do you think the enemy will attack from north, west, south, or... east?" Daphnne felt a slimmer of stress, with the anxiety bubbling up her stomach.

She'd fought demons before—she can do it.

"It would be stupid for the demons to charge at the front of the Church—but they might use reverse psychology and aim for that area." Percival analyzed the situation. "Perhaps, they might choose to bombard the south, which is the area furthest from the Crown Prince..."

All of a sudden, a firework shot up into the air—exploding into a giant flower.

"The south is requesting for reinforcements." Azalea pursed his lips. It seemed that the demons have begun to act.