Chapter One

Whenever Adelaide Baker set her mind to something, it always happened. On this particular Thursday afternoon, that task was getting a piece of gum out of her hair.

"Just cut it off already," her brother laughed from across the room. She didn't respond, but sent a glare in his direction. The pink bubblegum stood out drastically in her blonde hair - which made her wonder why she hadn't noticed it until the very end of her shift at the diner.

In a better world, the kid who put the gum in her hair would have done it towards the bottom, where a trim wouldn't be noticeable. But in Adelaide's world, the gum was stuck near the top of a piece of hair framing her face. She'd had her infamous middle part and straight hair since she was a kid. Maybe it would be good for her to have a change?

Doubtful.

Her twenty minute attempt to dislodge the chunk had been a complete failure, so Adelaide begrudgingly reached for the kitchen scissors. She gathered all the pieces of hair tangled up in the gum, and placed the scissors just above the knot.

"Fuck it."

The lock of hair fell to the ground with a soft thump, with the gum keeping all the strands locked together. Adelaide shivered at the feeling of the ends of her hair brushing against her cheek. She copied the same movements on the other side of her face, despite it being free of any gum contamination. After more strands of hair fell to the ground, Adelaide was left with awkward bangs framing either side of her face.

"That's a nice look," Adelaide's brother mocked. He had moved from his spot on the couch, and now dug through the refrigerator for a snack. He motioned to the mirror on the wall across from the kitchen counter. Adelaide grimaced when she saw the uneven bangs she had cut, and was quick to cut a few more pieces to make them even. Definitely not her preferred haircut, but it would have to work.

"I have a group presentation tomorrow morning," Adelaide groaned as she cleaned up the pieces of hair scattering the floor. She brushed her new bangs behind her ears, frowning when she realized they weren't quite long enough to reach, "I'll be sure to wear a hat."

"You could always go for the shock factor and just shave it all off."

"Very helpful James," She rolled her eyes at her younger brother as he shoved a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in his mouth. He laughed her off as he headed towards his room.

"I've got homework - see you tomorrow?" James asked with a mouthful of peanut butter as he stood in the doorway of his room. Adelaide smiled at him and nodded enthusiastically.

"You know I'd never miss movie night!"

"Especially when it's your turn to pick. Can't wait to watch another boring, coming-of-age movie!" James mocked. She didn't even have to turn around to know it was accompanied with a dramatic eye roll.

"Just because it doesn't have fairies and witches and goblins doesn't mean it's boring," Adelaide argued, for what felt like the thousandth time. She finished cleaning up her hair and James' sandwich mess, making sure to lock the apartment door before leaving their kitchen.

"Yeah, whatever. I'll see you tomorrow Adela, love you!" James called, pushing his bedroom door closed before Adelaide could respond. She waved goodbye to the closed door, muttering that she loved him too.

The only other room in the apartment was down the hallway, and it was the only one with an attached bathroom. When they moved in over the summer, James and Adelaide had an epic fight about who should get the room. Adelaide argued it should be her, since she was older, and because she paid most of the rent. James countered, saying he deserved the room since it was his baseball scholarship paying for the other part of rent. In the end, Adelaide won the fight. Just like she always did.