[R] mixed signals pt. 3 (finale)

Author's Note:

Not at me being proud of finishing two draft chapters for Haewon x fem! reader fanfiction which were really tempting to publish, but I must resist.

By the way, this would be the finale for 'mixed signals' — I don't think that I am still capable of writing further. Please play 'Arcade' by Duncan Laurence, featuring: FLETCHER to set you in the mood of the story.

_____

You tugged Bae closer to you, clinging to her arm. She was taken aback by this, but she managed to mask it with a sheepish smile directed to Haewon. As you two passed by Haewon, Bae gave the older a slight bow in apology.

Haewon huffed amusingly as she watched you and Bae as the two of you were walking farther and farther from her. Her hand clenched, forming a fist.

Meanwhile, Bae nudged you playfully with a smile on her lips upon having ample distance away from Haewon.

"That was sassy." She chaffed, chuckling. 

"Honestly speaking, I feel a little bad for Haewon-unnie, but she needed to hear that to get herself together."

"That wasn't my intention anymore..." You paused, heaving a sigh.

"I did it for myself, so I will no longer hope for anything more."

"But with the way that she acted earlier, there seemed to be more into it. Are you really giving up?"

"If there is something more there, it could be jealousy but platonically. She made it clear. She wasn't into girls. It is understandable for her to feel that way, especially that we were once best of friends." You paused.

"I used the past tense, because I knew that we would never be the same again. I cannot look at her the same way. Whenever I look at her, I feel resentment. I felt toyed with by her. She was constantly leading me on, and I fell for it."

"Is that the reason why you have been avoiding me, Y/N?"

You and Bae literally jumped out of shock at the sudden intrusion of Haewon. It turned out that she followed the two of you all the way. She has been contemplating to confront you. Then, as she was approaching; she overheard what you had said last.

You held onto your chest, trying to calm your throbbing heart. After a while, you were able to relax yourself, only to be taken aback again as Haewon asked you.

"Did you fall in love with me?"

The air around the three of you was tense. It doesn't help that two pairs of eyes were looking at you anticipatingly.

"I did, and I actually feel a little too deep." You paused, locking eyes with her. 

"To the point that I cannot settle for anything less than a relationship, Haewon."

Haewon bit onto her lower lip anxiously upon hearing this, fidgeting for some while before she spoke.

"I'm sorry, Y/N..."

You felt your heart shattering into pieces again just like how you felt the first time. This time though, there was a rush of relief coming along with it, knowing that you are not hiding something from her anymore. 

You smiled wistfully, nodding.

"I knew it. Thank you for everything, Haewon."

"Do you really have to completely cut me off?" She looked at you sadly, reaching her hand out to hold yours. 

You looked at her hand which was holding yours, watching her caress it for a few moments before averting your gaze back up and letting her hand go.

"For the meantime, I really have to. It is necessary for me to have good mental hygiene. But, who knows? We might find our ways back to each other as friends. Only time can tell."

You sighed, glancing at Bae.

"Come on, Bae, let's go." 

Bae walked towards you. She looked Haewon in the eye, while the older one simply looked down. Then, the younger proceeded to wrap her arm around your shoulder and give it a comforting squeeze before the two of you headed to the cinema.

Haewon lifted her chin back up and peered at the two of you.

_____

It has been five months since that took place. You can say that a lot has changed, and you are glad to say that it was for the better. You are happier than ever, now that you are in a relationship with Bae. 

Your experience was the embodiment of the saying that: 'Everything happens for a reason' — you started to believe that Haewon was bound to reject you, so that you can get to acknowledge Bae who was actually been crushing on you the first time that she laid her eyes on you when Haewon introduced you to the members.

That is the reason why she saw through you and your feelings for Haewon which greatly held her back from confessing. She has been observing you whenever she had the chance to be in the same space as you. 

As for Haewon, she was going through the opposite. It is when she lost you that she realized how hard for her it is to live without you. 

Haewon started to see your value. She realized how you filled her days, and she was missing every little thing about you. 

She was missing all those late-night talks with you doing your very best to fight your sleepiness just for her to have a listening ear, and those jokes that you would crack whenever she was having a bad day just to cheer her up.

She was missing the way you cared for her and the way you fit into her arms.

However, it was too late. You already moved on from her. Haewon had no intention of ruining a relationship either. 

Right now, you are gathered in the living room of your apartment. The set-up that you had was similar to the last time that you have done this. Similar to before, the girls have finished their promotions, and they have decided to spend the rest of the afternoon and night watching movies with you on the day that they were dismissed early.

The slight difference is that it is now Bae who is holding you into her arms and whom you are snuggling to. Then, the rest of the girls would tease the two of you for all the displays of affection. They would act disgusted with all the sweetness. But deep inside, they were really happy for you and Bae. 

Haewon, despite being bothered with all her regrets, was not an exception. She was genuinely happy for the two of you. 

Seeing you smile makes her heart leap, even if she wasn't the reason behind it. After all, she thought that you deserved all the happiness in the world — it doesn't matter if it is in Bae where you found that happiness.

It was more than enough for Haewon to have your friendship with her mended. It was more than enough for her to just love you from afar.