59

Shen Yu nudged his head against Shang JunLin. "I'm talking to Your Majesty about serious things."

"This emperor knows." Shang JunLin touched Shen Yu's forehead. "It was discovered early, which means it's not as difficult to look into. This emperor will disqualify everyone who participates. Ah Yu shouldn't worry. This emperor asked the examiners to change the test questions as well. There won't be a problem."

When he learned that someone was trying to tamper with the imperial examinations, how could Shang JunLin sit back and let them do it? The necessary adjustments had already been made. To ensure the new test questions wouldn't leak, everyone involved in the changes was living in a house arranged by Shang JunLin, and they'd continue to live there until the end of the exam. There were heavy guard patrols around the house. If anyone tried to send information to the outside world, all they'd do was expose themselves.

Shen Yu nodded and began to talk about the things Jiang HuaiQing and his friends had discovered recently.

"Jiang HuaiQing sent a letter saying that the people were targeting a specific type, mostly poor students. Some of Jiang HuaiQing's other good friends were approached as well. It's only when it came up in conversation as an anecdote that they realized several people had been contacted." Shen Yu thought. "Did they notice that Your Majesty likes to employ people from poor backgrounds, and that's why they decided to meddle with them?"

Shang JunLin: "Whether they succeeded or not, those new officials would be susceptible to blackmail in the future. In order to continue their careers, they'd have no choice but to work for the conspirators."

Shen Yu: "True, and the higher those officials rose in the future, the better it would be for the conspirators. What a cost-effective method. With so little effort they can turn this class of scholars into their agents."

Although... Shen Yu looked down to conceal the coldness in his eyes. No matter if it was in his previous life or this one, that man would never succeed in his goals!

At Yingxing House:

As the examination day approached, the lodging house appeared less populated. The students stayed in their rooms to make their final preparations.

Jiang HuaiQing's restless mind gradually calmed down. After discussing everything with Young Master Yu, he realized that Young Master Lin and Young Master Yu weren't as simple as they appeared. Most likely they weren't even exam candidates.

Jiang HuaiQing left the window and walked over. "ChengYu Xiong is always so calm."

After spending so much time with Hè ChengYu, Jiang HuaiQing had never seen him lose his composure. The students around them were getting more and more nervous, but Hè ChengYu was the same as ever.

He himself felt anxious a little while ago, but after a few days passed his state of mind gradually recovered.

Hè ChengYu smiled lightly. "It's just an exam. HuaiQing is the same as usual too, right?"

"I might not show it on my face, but that incident a while ago really shocked me." Jiang HuaiQing patted his chest. "I've been up and down for several days.

"I wonder if ChengYu Xiong noticed that those people are targeting poor students." After observing for a while, that was the conclusion Jiang HuaiQing had reached.

Hè ChengYu nodded. "I saw that too. I indirectly asked some exam candidates from other large families, and they didn't encounter anything similar."

"Then their purpose seems clear." Jiang HuaiQing touched his chin. "They're choosing the type of people His Majesty is most likely to appoint."