45

Maya's POV

"How are you and you know who this morning?" Riley asked as we sat down on the bay window the following Sunday. The whole family was gathering at the Matthews' for Sunday lunch.

"We're good." I smiled. Everything in my life was genuinely going so well at the minute - my morning sickness had even decreased massively.

"I'm so excited, aren't we telling your mom and mine today?" I took a deep breath before replying.

"That's the plan anyways." I weakly smiled.

"GIRLS!" We heard Mr Matthews yell from downstairs. We looked at each other before moving quite quickly down to the living room as he never yelled up to us like that.

"Dad, what's going on?" Riley asked worriedly.

"Josh got in an accident. He's in hospital." Without thinking I bolted out the door, they were all yelling after me but I kept running with down the street towards the subway station to head to the hospital.

________

"Joshua Matthews?" I asked at the reception desk.

"I'm sorry, family only." She smiled apologetically.

"I'm his girlfriend, I'm having his baby, please?" My eyes watered and I was physically shaking which clearly made her soften up.

"Okay. He's on the 5th floor and ward 8 and room 15. Only minor injuries." She smiled. I nodded 'thanks' and walked as fast as I could to the elevator that took me up to Josh's room.

"Josh." I rushed in his room door and went and hugged him.

"Maya-" He went to speak but I shook my head and hugged him tighter.

"I was so scared. Your brother said you were in an accident and I assumed the worst. I couldn't lose you Josh, not now. Not when-"

"Maya-" I heard again, only this time it wasn't his voice. I pulled away from Josh and wiped my eyes before turning around to see my dad. "What is going on here?" He stood up and folded his arms across his chest looking between us. My mother was standing behind him.

"I was scared Josh was more seriously hurt than a broken wrist." I admitted.

"Jeez Maya, you could've waited 5 minutes and got in the car with us." Mr Matthews said as he, Topanga and Riley came in. I could imagine that they decided not to bring Auggie until they understood the extent of Josh's injurjes.

"So you made your own way here?" My dad questioned and I nodded. Just then the door opened again, the nurse.

"Hi, I'm sorry to interrupt but there's only meant to be 2 visitors at a time in here. We suggest family at this time so we can talk about the accident." She gazed around as if waiting for us to make a move.

"I'll stay, he's my brother." He stood up at the end of the bed.

"Anyone else?" The nurse asked. Josh grabbed my hand. My dad and mom, Topanga and Riley all left the room.

"Maya can stay." I smiled looking down at the floor and squeezed his hand.

"Oh, the receptionist informed me that Josh had a baby on the way, congratulations to you both." I froze.

"I'm sorry, what was that?" My dad came back in since the door hadn't been shut yet. As if on queue the nurse had been paged to further down the corridor to an emergency patient.

"Dad-"

"Maya. That nurse implied you're pregnant with his kid. Please tell me that's not true."

"I can't do that." I started crying. Josh somehow pulled me back to sit on the bed next to him and put his arm around me protectively. He couldn't stand up as had a drip in as well as some other medical tubes that I didn't know the names of.

"Get your hands off her." Again, on queue this nurse came back into the room.

"Excuse me sir but if you're going to raise your voice I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

"Shawn, we have a plan, but can we wait til I'm out of here to talk about it?" He ignored Josh and fully walked out, my mom running after him to attempted to calm him down.

That is not how I wanted them to find out.

But Josh was here and safe and a lot healthier than I originally thought he was going to be walking into this room.