clothes

I you want a taste of my brain, okay its yours anyway I 

Klaus giggles for the fiftieth time in an hour. He pops a cherry into his mouth, chewing it slowly, not bothering to spit out the pit. Five's room is the same as it always is, the chalkboard filled with so many equations I could never count or understand. 

"Let me get this straight," Klaus swallows his mouth full. "You want me to pretend to be your dad so you can question someone about an eye you found in the future." 

Five nods. "Yes. Exactly." 

Klaus purses his lips. "See, here's the thing." Five rolls his eyes. "I don't know what I'm getting out of this?" 

"You get twenty dollars." 

"Thirty." 

"Twenty five." 

"Deal." 

Five grimaces, taking in Klaus's outfit. "I thought I told you to change into something sophisticated." 

Klaus looks offended. "This is my best outfit!" He turns to me. "I bet Y/N agrees." 

Five looks at me, slowly scanning me up and down. It doesn't make me uncomfortable, being under the scrutiny of his gaze. I'm not sure what he's looking for. His eyes travel across my plain white shirt—the one I got from the institution—very low quality cotton, and— 

"Speaking of Y/N," Five clears his throat, tipping his head to the side. He straightens out his vest as Klaus lets out a disbelieving gasp. "She needs new clothes—" 

"You totally just checked her out," He barely breaths this before Five spacial jumps to him, pressing a blade against his throat. His eyes are a dangerously dark shade of emerald flame.

I jump back at this show of aggression, eyes briefly flashing. Klaus doesn't break a sweat, simply rolling his eyes at the maniacal gesture. "Well now, this just proves my point." 

"I don't have time for your nonsense today, Klaus," Five curses, tossing the knife on the ground. He spins on his heels. "Let's get going. We're stopping at a shopping department for new clothes." He glances briefly over his shoulder. "For both of you." 

"And what about you, you little twat," Klaus lets out a dignified huff, brushing off invisible pieces of lint from his absurd coat. "You look like you walked right out of school. People there are going to talk, like 'who's this crazy motherfucker who just brought in a goddamn glass eye'—

Five gives no response, striding out to the car. 

Shopping is a new experience for me. For a person who has lived most of her life with seven of the same outfits, I have not experienced this joy of buying new clothes, nor have I ever considered getting 'style'. I don't need style. I need comfort—I need something rather simple that I can rely on. 

Five holds the car door open for me, ignoring Klaus's wide-eyed stare. His eyeliner makes his pupils even more pronounced, and along the way, he's found a boa that is now wrapped around his neck. 

"You look like a magician stripper," Five comments before heading into the store. "You can stay in the car, Klaus." 

He huffs. "No, I'm coming in." A tiny smile dances across his lips. "Hah, coming..." 

The bright fluorescent lights of the store remind me irritatingly of the institution. It was always bright in there, even at night—which I supposed was to stop the inhabitants from sneaking around in the dark. 

I relished the light at first, after being locked up in a dark, cold, basement, but after a while, you find that the light permanently settles in your brain. It wraps itself around your mind, squeezing your eyes until they turn red. 

Sometimes, I even miss the dark. 

"How about this?" Five holds up a random t-shirt. It has a logo on it that says 'Live Love Laugh'. 

"Honey, no," Klaus chuckles, taking the shirt and chucking it behind him. It hits an old lady, who turns with surprising fervor to throw a hard candy at him. Five catches it, passing it to Klaus, who promptly eats it. "That shirt belongs in a trash can in Florida." 

I blink. "Florida?" 

Klaus tut tuts at Five, taking me by the arm. "Don't worry, Y/N, I'm an expert with fashion, and can give you more pointers than this blithering idiot ever could." 

Five laughs dryly. "She needs to blend in, Klaus. Not stand out—like you do." 

"Yeah, but we can't have her wearing something like that," Klaus shivers, looking at all the bright colours. "God—let me bleach this section of it's colour." He flourishes his clothing. "See what you need is something dark to make a statement." 

Five sighs. "Oh boy, this is going to take a while." 

A couple of minutes or so later, Klaus returns from his hunt with several items. He holds them out. One is a plain black t-shirt that would probably be form fitting—not that I have any form—it has goldish spirals along the chest area. He's also holding a black denim skirt, and a pair of leggings. The third thing is a black blazer similar to my usual Umbrella Academy uniform but it's longer and would fit me better. Lastly, he holds up a pair of combat boots that would reach my knees. 

"Absolutely not," Five shakes his head. "She can't go around looking like a—a gangster—and," 

I frown. "I like it." 

He raises his eyebrows. "Oh." Five hates being wrong, and I can see it on his face. "Klaus..."

"Let her try it on, you prick." 

Five doesn't have the patience to argue. 

The clothes all fit me, surprisingly, and I don't think I look like a gangster at all. I look like someone who actually knows how to dress themself. My old clothes get discarded as soon as I put the new ones on, carelessly ripping price tags off. 

"Oh, so you're planning on stealing that stuff," Klaus says, nodding approvingly. "She is an icon. She is a legend—" 

"You have no brain," Five taps his fingers on the bench he's sitting on. 

I take a breath, feeling a bit of warmth and something that might just be confidence spreading through my fingers and chest. 

"I don't have money, so..." my stomach doesn't feel so heavy anymore as I approach the desk, where the lady takes one look at me and glares. 

"You have to pay for that," she says angrily. 

I stare into her eyes, feeling my pupils dilate. 

"He doesn't love you back, darling," I mutter, delving into her deepest thoughts. "And he never will. It'd be best to give up now while you still have the money you know he'll take." I smile. "Thank you for your service." 

The lady leans back in her chair, eyes glazed over. She is unblinking as we walk by. Five looks mildly irritated. 

"Y/N, what was that?" 

I shrug. "Me taking back a bit of what the world owes me."