Chapter 14: Distance

The flutter of wings and the quiet sound of the fountain filled the silence of the private greenhouse garden

The flutter of wings and the quiet sound of the fountain filled the silence of the private greenhouse garden. A table for two was set out with a tea set and various desserts and finger foods set up on the table.

Sera sat across President Snow and stared at the lukewarm rose tea that she was served. A white rose petal floated on the surface of the tea.

"Regarding the recent happenings of District 5—you wouldn't happen to know anything, would you, Miss Reza?" President asked after a moment of silence.

She let out a sigh and shook her head. "I wasn't in 5 when it happened." Her answer was calm and straight to the point but inside her weak heart strained to hold itself together. She only prayed that the flow of the water from the water fountain was loud enough to mask her nervous heartbeat.

"I'm aware." He took a sip of his tea and coldly placed the cup down. "But surely, you would've heard something."

"All I know is what's known by everyone else."

President Snow stared at her, unmoving. He was slightly disappointed in her and believed she might know more or perhaps she did know more and was keeping things. He tried to probe her for more information but the girl kept repeating her answers.

Displeased, President Snow had no choice but to relent and let the matter go. "Well, I suppose there's no helping it." He picked up the fine hand painted white teacup and took another sip of his drink. "I do have to congratulate you...on your recent successes."

Sera placed her teacup down carefully. "My recent successes?" She echoed.

"Ah yes. Your work at the clinic was remarkable. You have been a great help."

"I have?"

She felt terrible. Her hands were clammy and her head felt heavy. The air around her felt hot and heavy, she found it harder to breath but she tried to keep her composure. She had to keep her composure.

"You have. You've made your way through the designated patients and families quite well. Thanks to you, Panem is safer."

Was Panem really safe because of her?

She didn't think so.

She broke up families, killed children and adults alike. She didn't think Panem was safe.

In the days since she had won her games and was assigned this task, she'd kept count of how many lives she had taken since. With each meeting with the President, the number only grew and now she had taken more lives or allowed more deaths than in her arena.

She forced herself to smile meekly and nod. She couldn't find any words to reply to him or talk to him in general.

"I do have a question." He finished his tea and looked at her. "I heard a little thing about you...I'm sure you're aware of the rumors that surround one Finnick Odair."