Chapter Five

Adelaide sped down the Boston streets, taking turn after turn, until she was sure that Christoph wasn't following her. She'd already missed the two lectures she had that day, so there was no point trying to go back to school - not that she would be able to concentrate if she did. Instead, she just kept driving, speeding past suburban homes and empty soccer fields.

She couldn't bring herself to go home and pretend everything was normal, and part of her was afraid if she stopped moving Christoph or Lorenzo would appear out of nowhere. Adelaide's head spun with everything Christoph had told her.

She couldn't deny the strange things happening to her, or the fire he had summoned out of thin air. But even if she was a witch, she wasn't going to be apart of someone else's war. She had worked hard to make a normal life for her and James, and she wasn't going to let this ruin it.

She would lay low. She wouldn't walk home alone anymore, she'd try to control her emotions. Adelaide would show them that she wasn't some secret weapon for them to use.  She'd show them she was just a boring, typical college girl, with no superpowers or secret abilities. And then everything could go back to the way it was.

By the time she had calmed herself down enough to check the time, Adelaide realized it was nearing five o'clock, and she was at least an hour outside of the city.

"Shit." She cursed to herself. James would be home from practice soon, expecting her to be there and be ready to watch NCIS. Adelaide turned her car around, continuing her speeding journey back towards the city. She didn't want to have to explain the day's events to James. She needed everything to be normal, even if just for the night. 
The winter sun started to set as she drove, and it was dusk by the time she neared their apartment. The gas light came on, despite the nearly full tank she'd had that morning. Adelaide made a mental note to get gas.

She pulled her car into the parking spot, shifting it into park and grabbing her backpack in one swift motion. It was past six, and she was sure James had already made it home. Adelaide slammed her car door shut and alarmed it, pulling her jacket close as she moved towards their apartment.

"Hey." Christoph appeared from behind another car in the lot, sending her a gentle wave. She jumped and cursed under her breath, before sending him a death glare.

"Go away. You don't have to watch over me anymore." Adelaide told him, turning her back to him to walk towards her apartment. Of course, Christoph jogged and caught up with her effortlessly. He started to ramble, trying desperately to get her to listen to his argument. She kept walking, refusing to look at him.

"I do, actually. They aren't going to stop just because you want them to, okay? I know they left you alone tonight, but that doesn't mean they're going anywhere. If you would just come with me I could protect - "

Christoph trailed off when they reached her apartment. Adelaide was determined not to acknowledge him, but she spared a glance when he stopped in his tracks.

"What? Did you finally give up?" She joked, rolling her eyes as she moved to walk up the front steps of her porch. Christoph swung his arm in front of her, stopping her from moving. Adelaide immediately went to protest, but Christoph's face made her fall quiet.

He wasn't looking at her anymore. He held a finger to his lips to silence her, but his face had grown dark and serious. Christoph nodded towards her front door, and Adelaide turned to follow his gaze. Her heart stopped when she realized what he meant.

Her front door was cracked open, and the old wood had splintered where someone had kicked it in. Adelaide could barely see her kitchen counter through the slim crack, but it was enough to make out the shape of a pizza box.
James was home.