Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Chapter Two

The Next Morning

The sun burned brightly in the clear blue sky, its powerful rays making the Seine River sparkle.

Mira leaned against the railing of Pont des Arts, the bridge across from the Louvre with spectacular views from all sides. Her current vantage point was the iconic one, with the Eiffel Tower showcased in the distance. She wasn't close enough to admire the famed structure's intricate wrought-iron composition, but it was the only clear look she'd gotten since arriving, and she wanted to make it last.

A long sigh escaped from Mira's lips. It was a moment loaded with the first real semblance of joy she'd felt since the business trip had begun, and with two full hours remaining, she hoped it wouldn't be the last. Her stomach grumbled with anticipation, fixated on the famous French toast that was to come.

Despite her stomach's soundtrack of calorie deprivation, she couldn't leave the bridge without capturing the postcard image. She snapped a photo and immediately examined it. "Why does it look so much smaller?" she groaned. She utilized the zoom feature and gave it a second try, but a frown was her only reward. "Why does it look so blurry?"

It was still quite early in the day for Paris, and Mira's current surroundings showed it, with minimal traffic out on the roads, and only a few locals and early-bird tourists making their way on foot.

Mira crossed the road with brisk steps, passing a café terrace serving coffee to the day's first tourists. Her path led her along
the Louvre's outer exterior and then into the smaller side streets, the perfect route for a foreigner wanting to soak in the atmosphere of Paris.

In a matter of minutes, Rue Saint-Honoré became Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, and though the width of the street hadn't changed at all, there was a marked difference in the offerings. Quaint cafés and pâtisserie shops gave way to Gucci, Cartier, Hermès, and every other high-end boutique well beyond her financial reach.

Mira's footsteps slowed as she approached an alluring window showcasing all things Chanel. The latest iteration of the Chanel wool suit was prominently displayed behind the glass, an evergreen look, no matter the season. The summer beach collection was the other main draw, with a belted one-piece swimsuit featuring the brand's famous monogram.

But these weren't the pieces that caught Mira's eye. She found herself drawn to an item that could've easily been missed; a full flap leather wallet displayed on a silver table. It was nearly identical to the one Mira's future mother-in-law had given to her at her engagement ceremony.

Mira's understanding of engagement ceremonies held in Sikh temples in upstate New York was minimal at best, but she knew that after an hour of sitting cross-legged on an uncomfortable carpet, you could always count on a series of gifts and several wads of cash. After years of watching cousin after cousin collect their own engagement ceremony cash and prizes, Mira's turn had finally come on that cold November day. Her outfit had been pink with silver accents, dazzling by Western standards, but muted compared to the multiple lehenga outfit changes she'd be cycling through on her wedding day. The thing she remembered most about that day was her posed smile, and how strained it became with each additional photo. In the moment, she'd chalked it up to simple fatigue, but looking back, it was an early warning. And she'd missed it.

The past and the present seemed worlds apart, with only the full flap leather wallet tying them together. It was just another thing she would have to return, whereas every single memory stuck to her like glue.

Mira stepped away from the storefront window, eager to escape the somber mood by running from her problems—or in this case, power walking the last few blocks to the restaurant.