Wedding Vows (Theseus)

**Contains Secrets of Dumbledore Spoilers**

Theseus longed for the day he could exchange wedding vows with his chosen one.

He remembered attending the wedding of his parents' friends. Well, vaguely, but it was pretty. He was a year away from starting Hogwarts and Newt was still toddling around. He remembered holding Newt's hand very tightly so he wouldn't fall, because his legs looked so wobbly that he could have been blown over by the sea breeze. Occasionally, Theseus would tug at the bowtie around his neck, for it was a little too tight, but it was nothing he couldn't handle to look his best in front of the grown-ups. He watched as the bride and groom exchanged vows in front of the waves. The smell of the ocean, the wind in his hair, and he remembered the words the couple had said to each other exactly.

"To love and to cherish, until death do us part".

And it repeated in his head over and over again, because one day, he had hoped to say it to the girl of his dreams.

Eventually, the day that the words would leave his mouth was set: June 6, 1928. He met the love of his life and he was so excited to finally say the words he had kept so close to his heart to her. As the day drew closer, he practiced once everyday, and then twice, in front of a mirror, in the shower, while alone in the office, just to get it right. Yet, all that practice led up to nothing, because she had parted from him before the day arrived.

After that, Theseus never bothered with the words for a very long time.

He busied himself with Ministry duties, seeing as Grindelwald was still a major threat to the wizarding world. Days turned into months, and months turned into years. Then, he received an invitation to Queenie and Jacob's humble wedding in New York. He questioned the invitation, seeing as he wasn't as close to them as Newt was.

"You helped them," his brother had said, "You played a part in bringing them back together, and back home."

He noticed Newt's voice getting softer as he added, "And I'd like you to be there as well."

So that was how Theseus Scamander found himself watching Queenie and Jacob say the words to each other. The words he had longed to say, and he didn't know what to feel. On one hand, he was really happy for the couple to have finally found their way back to each other after all the pain they had been through. On the other hand, he felt his own pain lightly tug at the corner of his heart, slowly feeding him the memories of "what could have been"s with Leta.

He tried to ignore it as the wedding went on. Jacob gently unveiled Queenie and their eyes met, both filled with that sparkle of hope for the future. Leta would have been the one under the veil, waiting patiently for Theseus to unveil her under the moonlight, at the garden they had intended their wedding to be held at.

Queenie and Jacob shared their first kiss as an official couple and the rest of their little gang cheered. Leta would have felt embarrassed to be kissing in front of everyone, but Theseus didn't mind. He would have found it cute and endearing and he would tease her for hours after.

The married couple took their first dance as music from Lally's enchanted box filled the air. Leta would have been in his arms. His world would have been in his arms and they would have danced just as they did when they first met at the gala. And the dress she'd wear would have been beautiful.

Even Newt had finally mustered up the courage (with help from Jacob) to dance with Tina. Leta would have been so happy for him. She and Theseus would have been dancing off at the side, amusing themselves as they watched Newt's face turn red from having caught their eye.