Chapter Twenty One | 'Kill two birds with one stone'

A L E X A N D R A | J O N E S

I have not smiled this much in years; school was boring as usual. And I pass by Cathy every day, I miss her, but I know she was not a good friend to me, and I had to understand that. Though, people make mistakes, and if we were perfect then this world will not be a world no more. She smiles at me here and there, and I smile back because I have so much love for her.

However, a smile is not going to take back everything she said to me that night.

I look up as the library door buzzes open, and a smile spreads across my face as Ares enters with Joey. I close my sketchbook and look up at them both again; Joey pinches Ares' cheeks before approaching me. "Did you bring it with you?" Joey nods as Ares leans against the counter.

"Did you bring it?" He questions.

"Of course." I whisper.

"On the count of three then...one...two...three!" He settles my pomegranate seeds on the counter as I settle him a book to read for the week. He picks it up and groans, "another romance Jones? I already have a wife."

"And as usual, you said that about every single book!" He rolls his eyes; I point to his shelving unit.

"You have a point there, this better be good! Otherwise, no pomegranate seeds for a year!" I laugh and watch him make his way to his secret couch. I feel fingers brush a strand of my hair behind my ear, my head shifts to the direction of the Greek God.

"How longs your shift?"

"Oh, I finish in one hour, finally, I'm too tired. I have not slept all night." I settle back down onto the chair; he makes his way around. "You're breaking the rules...you're not supposed to be behind the counter." He drags a chair and flops it besides me, I rose a brow and he settles down. He brings my head against his chest, allowing me to hear his soft heartbeat.

"I thought you'd know; rules aren't my best friends..." I chuckle and relax my shoulders, thankfully i was the only employee working on the night shift, except for Narnia who is stocking books.

"As much as I would love to be in your arms, I have to stock the books into the right places." I push him away from me and stand up to push the trolley full of books. I pick up the canner and begin scanning the codes and putting it all in the right places. I take a glimpse at joey to see tears falling down his eyes.

I knew it.

Sad sober.

"What happened to the book being rubbish?" I lean over his chair; he slaps the book shut and flared back at me.

"Do you want pomegranate seeds next week?" I give him a side eyes, this cheeky man.

"I can just buy them at the store, Joey."

"You know you like it fresh, now shush and go back to that creature." He nods away with his head; I turn back to see Ares on a phone call. His back facing to me, his shoulder wide and broad.

"Alright, I'll leave you to your crying session Joey." I squeeze his shoulders, making my way back to the trolley of books. The barcode, black and White.

I could feel him standing behind me, I turn my head and see him staring at me. "I like that book, it's one of my favourites." I whisper, to stir up a conversation. "He's reading page 121." I guess.

"And how do you know that?"

"Because he's crying. It's the moment he confesses his love to her; Passion is the reason I rose from the flame when my world was ash. For in that passion was love, determination and grit. It got me up and kept me alive. You kept me alive." I put the last books back into the trolley, one in my hand as I flick through the pages.