Chapter Forty-Three

Athena

We are at court now. Hopefully this will be the last time I step foot in here for this case. Nate is already in jail right now. Now, it's time for Zac to go behind bars with him.

We were now waiting for the jury to decide a verdict after the closing arguments. Zac had a new lawyer and his entire family along with Brindas was here. Brinda didn't want Bella to come just in case it didn't go our way but Bella crawled into the backseat of Brindas car without her knowing and she ended up here.

Alessandro, Serene, and Rachael were also here and I just wanted to hold their hands while we waited. My heart was beating out of my chance at the thought we wouldn't win. Only about six percent of rapist spend a day in jail and that percent is just as lower as the ones that stay behind bars of trial.

"All rise." The bailiff called as everyone stood as the judge walked out. "You may be seated." With the quietness of the room you could hear everyone taking deep breaths. One side rooting for the other side to lose.

After the overly long introduction he was speaking to the audience. "I don't know what the verdict is but I know someone in this courtroom won't like it. I know there are family members that are her for both parties so we need to discuss reactions. I understand if you are not happy but it's not a complete surprise whatever the verdict is. If anyone audibly or physically reacts then you need to leave the court now. I don't want this generous jury to base decisions off of reactions. This is very important. Now that we've dealt with that, bring the jury out."

I was scared shitless. I was a great lawyer but that doesn't guarantee a win. "We're yall able to reach a verdict?"

"Yes sir." They all said with a nod.

"Hand it to court security." And once they did it was given to him. He put his glasses on and looked at paper before giving it to the court.

She began to read off the paper. "I'm the circuit court for and in for Atlanta, Georgia Zac Dubois versus Brinda Dubois," I had stopped listening at this part. "A verdict as to the charge in count one we the jury find the defendant Zac Dubois of first degree domestic violence as charged in the indictment." I was smiling like an idiot as court was being closed out.

The judge said some words to the jury and to Brinda before sentencing her, "Zac Dubois, having been found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt by a jury of your peers a first degree domestic violence I am going to adjudicate you guilty. Im going to sentence you to ten years state prison." We stand up as Zac is sent up to do finger printing. "All court business is finished." He says once Zac is behind closed doors.

Everyone walks out and once we are outside of the courtroom Brinda and Bella attack me with a hug. "Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. You don't understand how happy I am." Brinda said hugging me tighter.

I hugged them both back. "Your so welcome. He will never hurt either of you again." We're all crying now then Serene and Rachael come to join the hug.

"Oh! The ring looks really nice." Brinda smiled.

"It's just a promise ring for now." Bella took my hand and inspected the ring.

When we parted I wiped at my tears just as they do theirs. I looked up to see James rushing, basically running towards us in a frenzy. Brinda didn't even have time to react before she was turned around and James was kissing her like he'd die if they separated. It made me smile at how urgent he seemed to need to feel her.