FORTY EIGHT

XLVIII

OBLIVION      . . .      𝑏𝘰𝘰𝑘 1
﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌
Rafe Cameron ━━━ CALLISTA MAYBANK
She was his drug and without her he felt like he was going insane.

ACT TWO

━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━

"Hey Cal." Pope sat down on the chair next to the girls bed.

Seeing her hooked up to so many machines and looking so lifeless, it pained him. It was one of the major reasons he hadn't come to see her since they found out she was in hospital.

"I'm sorry that I've not been before now." He paused, choking up. "I know that I should have come to see you sooner."

Pope nervously leant forward and grabbed the girls hand, linking their fingers together. He smiled once he heard the Holter Monitor beep a little faster, but not too much to be of any concern.

"I guess that's not the only thing that I should be apologising for, since it's my fault that you're in here." He angrily wiped the tears that fell from his face.

Ever since the day he walked in on her writing her letters in John B's room, he was covering for her, telling JJ that he saw her earlier or that she had called him to check on JJ. He always told JJ that she was fine.

Little did he know that she was lying in a hospital bed in a coma.

"If I knew what you were doing to do, I never would have let you leave my sight." He let go of a deep breath. "If I knew you were going back to Luke's to finally face this shit. To sacrifice yourself or whatever. I would have told someone. I would have stopped you."

Pope had been beating himself up on the daily, hating himself for letting her leave without any explanation.

After finding out what happened to Cal, he began to become more careless with his life. He threw away his scholarship. His once perfect 4.0 GPA dropped. He didn't care about his education or anything else like he used too. Not now that one of his best friends was in trouble.

"I couldn't bare to tell JJ. I still can't. He's in pieces over what's happened to you. If he finds out that it was my fault-" Pope paused, feeling sick just at the idea. "He'll hate me."

JJ and Cal were a huge part of Popes life. They were his family. He cared for them. He loved them. As they did him. The last thing that he wanted was to lose either of them. But from the way that things were going, it looked as if that was going to happen.

"From the sign in sheets, I can tell that Rafe's been visiting every day, at least twice a day if not more."

Pope noticed the way Cal's grip on his hand tightened. He wanted to shout for a nurse, but as soon as he noticed that it happened, it had stopped and part of him was thinking that maybe he was just imaging it for his own benefit.

"I hate to admit it, Cal, but he really loves you." He chuckled, wondering if she could hear him. "There's no proof to say that you can hear me, but JJ likes to think you can hear him and so do I."

The boy looked up at the different flowers that were scattered around Cal's room and wondered who had left them all. He knew that a few people from school had pitched in to buy her flowers and he imagined that quite a few of them would have been from Rafe.

"My mom and dad send their love. They said they're gonna come see you again soon." Pope hesitated a moment before continuing. "When dad came home after the first time he saw you like this, he cried on my mom. My parents really love you, Cal."

His parents loved Cal and JJ like they were their own. Numerous times had his dad told Cal and JJ that they could stay at the house for as long as they needed.

"I should get going soon, Rafe normally comes to visit around this time and I can't imagine that he likes sharing his time with you." Pope chuckled.

He fell into a deep silence and just listened to the Holter monitor beep. He wasn't exactly waiting for anything, he was just thinking.

As painful as it was to visit the girl for the first time, knowing that he now had to say goodbye was even harder. Pope pulled himself out of the chair and slowly leant down to place a gentle kiss on the Cal's temple.

"I'll be back soon, Cal. I promise." He whispered before giving her hand one last squeeze and leaving.

Tears streamed down the boys face as he exited the room. Nurse Sullivan was waiting at the desk for him with a box of tissues in her hands and a reassuring smile.

"The first time is always the hardest." She announced as she made her way over to the boy, hoping to some how comfort him. "It gets easier."

"I sure hope so." Pope nodded. "Thanks." He then motioned towards the tissue he was using to wipe his eyes.

Pope looked around the hospital before his eyes landed on Rafe, who was making his way towards Cal's room. He then turned his attention back to the nurse before announce,

"I should get going."

socials
instagram ~ vxidcameron & em.newman
snapchat ~ emilynewman1234
tik tok ~ vxidbucky & leeandhan