Chapter Two

A rapid knocking sound woke me from my deep sleep, and I groaned as I sat up in bed. I rubbed my eyes and yelled a 'Come in' before falling back into my bed.

"Hermana, get up. Papa wants to talk to you." Oscar said, pulling on my arm.

"Okay, okay. I'm coming."

I rolled out of bed and trudged to the bathroom, my brother following me and standing in the doorway.

"What, Oscar?" I said, brushing my teeth as I looked at him.

Arms crossed over his chest, he leant on my doorway and began to speak.

"Look, when you go downstairs to the meeting room, Papa will bring something up."

"Which is?"

"I'm not allowed to tell you. Just, keep an open mind when he tells you."

"Oscar..." I said, confused to what he was trying to tell me.

"I love you, Chiara. Just, look after yourself."

"I love you too, Oscar."

Spitting the toothpaste from my mouth, I wiped my face and washed it.

I quickly went to my wardrobe, throwing on a black tube top and some black jeans with it.

Oscar had now long gone, and was probably in his room, or elsewhere, so I went straight down, jogging down the stairs as I pulled my black varsity jacket on, and went into the kitchen.

Pouring myself a cup of coffee from the fresh pot that sat on the kitchen island, I took it with me as I went to the meeting room, where a low level of chatter could be heard as I got closer.

Inching the door open, I could see my father sitting at the head of the table, in deep discussion with someone else.

I squeezed my body through the small gap that I had made with the open door and leaned against the wall of the meeting room as I looked over who was there.

"Mjia, buenos días. I would like to introduce you to a business partner of mine; this is Mr Russo and his son, Alessandro."

Wait.

I turned to look at the other side of the table to see the familiar face of Alessandro Russo staring at me with a smirk plastered across his face.

Motherfu-

"Mija?"

I snapped out of my daze and turned to face my father.

"Lo siento Papa, buenos días," I said, kissing my father on the cheek, "It's nice to meet you and your son, Mr Russo. Mi chiamo Chiara."

I walked to the other side, where Mr Russo was sitting and shook his hand when he stood up.

"Yes, yes. Your father speaks highly of you, Chiara. As you know, this is Alessandro." He gestured to his son.

"Ciao, Alessandro." I spoke, taking his hand and shaking it as he stood there, smirking at me.

I went and took the seat beside my father and sipped on my coffee, waiting for someone to continue the discussion.

"Right, so since the both of you are here now- there is an urgent matter that we need to speak to you about. Now, both of you are 24- Chiara your birthday is in a few months' time- and seeing as Alessandro is the only heir to the Russo Mafia, it would be best strategically, for the two of you to get married. Chiara, you won't be taking over the Martinez Mafia seeing as Oscar will be doing so, and business-wise, this is the best option for both Mafias. Now, this marriage won't be sudden. You both have 6 months to plan and create your wedding together. Any questions?"