62

"Daniella, please say something," Max begged as his eyes fixated on his girlfriend who was moving constantly as she got ready for the after-party. "I have been talking for half an hour, explaining everything and I didn't even hear a word from you."

"What do you want me to say?" Daniella asked as she put on her earnings, her voice holding no emotions but the situation was completely opposite in her heart.

"Anything," Max sighed. He is exhausted and feels like he is trapped with no way out.

Daniella looked at him, the look on his face broke her heart.

"When I said I can't do it... I really meant it, Max," She replied. "I can't deal with you being in a fake relationship with your ex for a publicity stunt which is apparently to save you from all the rumors."

Max stood up and stepped closer.

"But just this morning you were saying that you trust me," He tried to reason. "Can't you trust me with this... this entire situation?"

"I do trust you," Daniella argued. "I am just not strong enough emotionally or...or mentally to be in a secret relationship with the man I love and then watch him show off his fake relationship with his ex in public," She slowly explained.

"But why are you not trying to understand that I have no choice?" He raised his voice slightly, starting to feel frustrated.

"l know you have no choice, I know it very well," Daniella said calmly. "In case you forgot, I was offered the same deal by Christian last year and he didn't even tell me at first by the way. I know you feel trapped but as I said, I don't have the energy to support you through this."

Max felt his heart shatter. He knows it's a lot to ask her but still, it hurts him.

"Then.. Then let's make our relationship public," He restlessly suggested, the desperation was visible both in his voice and on his face.

Daniella let out a tired breath as she shook her head.

"You really want to tell the world that you and I are dating after your ex showed up at the paddock this weekend and your team confirmed that you two are together again?" Daniella calmly asked. "Do you even realize what will happen after that? The mess we will be in? The mess I will be in?"

Max closed his eyes shut tightly and pinched the bridge of his nose, trying to think clearly which is proving to be hard.

"So...so what about us then?" He asked as he opened his eyes. "Our relationship just started... and I don't want to lose you."

Daniella gave him a sad smile, trying to control her tears as she held his hand.

"I am sorry Max," She softly said. "I really wish none of these had happened but I won't be able to take it...I won't be able to see you with someone else while..." Her voice broke but her expression said everything to him.

"I am really sorry," She gently kissed him and when she pulled away he craved for more.

"Maybe...maybe we can give ourselves another shot once the circus is over," She suggested.

"I will make sure of it."

***

Daniella raised her eyebrows and looked at George suspiciously as he handed her a drink. She looked at the glass in her hand and then back at George.

"Looks like you could use one," George plainly said shrugged.

"I won't complain if you give me the entire bottle," She said before chugging the entire drink and handing him the glass back.