Chapter Twenty Three | 'The devil is in the details'

A L E X A N D R A | J O N E S

Ares was waiting for me outside, and to say I am not excited is the biggest lie. The minute Art class finished; I was the first one to leave the classroom. Mrs Brown was even confused with the joy spread across my face; Ares has a surprise for me. And I could not wait to find out.

"Alex!" I turn my head from the hallway and my eyes match Cathy's, I ignore her and continue to make my way out of school. She runs after me and stops me from walking by standing before me. "Alex, please let's talk..."

"My friends call me Alex; you are not my friend." Her face drops, and a pound of guilt sits on my shoulders. This is not you Ali, you forgive people. She was once your best friend. But she hurt me so much...

"I messed up, I messed up really fucking bad okay. I am jealous of you; I was jealous of you." I was right...

"But why? Have you see yourself?" She sighs.

"Alex, look at you...you're fucking beautiful, every guy in the school has a crush on you...you catch everyone's attention and I felt insecure. I'm the insecure one. And I am so sorry for putting it on you, I am so sorry Alex...if I knew my best friend was on the line...I promise I would have never said anything."

She looks really apologetic; I turn my head to the front door and see Ares staring at me. He nods his head, as if he knew I was asking if I should forgive her. I turn back to her, "you really hurt me. But people make mistakes, I forgive you Cathy but I'm not ready to be friends with you...like how we used to." She nods her head, and I see small tears leave her eyes.

She wipes it away quickly, "I have to go..." She whispers.

I watch her leave and make my way outside, Ares opens his arms for me to fall into. My head presses onto his chest and his arms squeeze my head. I peer up, and he presses his lips onto mine, I smile against them. "So? What's the surprise?"

"Well, get in the car and I'll take you to it." I did not hesitate once before slipping inside the car, I do my seatbelt and Ares begins driving, I look down at my phone to see messages from my aunt.

AC: I know where you're going, Ares told me about the surprise, have a great time! And I'll make excuses for you if your parents come back. MAKE SURE TO USE PROTECTION. I cannot make an excuse for another virgin Mary. I already used that for myself.

I couldn't stop the laughter leaving my mouth, hang on? Protection? "Ares, what does this mean?" I show him the message, he looks at it for a second before facing the road again. We were on a motorway.

"I have no clue..." Before turning off my phone, I hummed and responded to her message. Deep down, I wished I could have had Aunt Coraline for a mother. She's so carefree and relaxed, and she lets me try new things.

I look up and lean my head onto his shoulders as I feel a hand slide and rest on my thigh. My mouth is forming a smile. I haven't felt this much peace in a long time. I graze his hands, circling my finger around the butterfly tattoo. "What happened after you broke my canvas?" I ask him, to waste some time.

"Well...I felt bad."

I exit my car, slamming the door shut as I make my way down the hill to the library entrance. After confirming with Joey to see if she was working, I made sure to get her a little something because of the guilt. Her face looked so sad, and annoying. Fucking annoying.

I push the library door open and see her sleeping on the counter, drool dropping down her lips. Her hair in an absolute mess, her arms flung in various places holding pens and her head resting on her sketch book. I leave her be for a minute before slamming my fist onto the bell, she jumps awake.