CHAPTER 5

Charlene's pov

I've been meeting with Lupus as he was the one to inform me about my opponents, I've already won a dozen fights and today's soldier was a tall man with huge muscles. I still had time before the fight so I went looking for Lupus, I found sitting in the garden where he said he would be.

"Lupus" I called for him, he smiled and told me to sit down next to him. He was carving on a wooden knife, I just sat next to him in silence and looked at the beautiful view in front of me.

"You're probably wondering why I'm doing this..." He started grabbing my attention, I looked at him but he was still focused on the knife.

"I made a promise, a long time ago. When I was only a child, I used to live at your Kingdom. My parents were both servants at the castle, one day, Leo's father decided to raid the castle and killed everyone including your mother and my parents. I was just a kid..." He whispered roughly sharpening the wooden object in his hand. I couldn't remember that day because I was a newborn, but my father told me about it.

"...Leo's mother found me hiding behind a wine barrel and took me with her and raised me with Leo like I was her own. But..." He played with the knife in his hand and he looked up to look at me, his eyes were redder than usual as if he was holding his tears.

"I want revenge for my parents' death, I can only be at peace when I take the throne from Leo" he whispered the last part being careful that nobody hears him. I put my hand around his shoulder and patted it gently feeling sorry for him. I did lose my mother but it didn't leave me scarred like Lupus because I didn't even remember her. I was too young...

I don't know how long we've been sitting there in silence but I'm sure I was late for the fight. I pulled Lupus up and we ran to the field where the queen and her guards looked like they were about to go look for us, or me.

"Sorry for being late" I said trying to catch my breath, her eyes looked at me then at Lupus then back at me again. Her eyes held confusion and something else, her jaw clenched and she stepped out of the way so I can grab my sword.

The man I was going to fight was standing in the middle of the sand circle where we usually fight. He was double my size and very intimidating. I watched how he limped on his right foot and I smiled innocently.

This guy's blows were so strong that they make me stumble back, I was barely blocking them. I was breathing heavily and my arms were burning, he hit my sword one more time making me trip and fall backwards but I didn't drop my sword, I rolled on the ground before his sword hit me and I jumped on his back, the only advantage I had was that he was very slow because of his size. I kicked the back of his leg where I saw the limp earlier and he fell on his knees with a loud hiss. I put my sword to his neck and he pulled his arms up in surrender. I heard someone clap behind us and I saw the queen glaring at me. I jumped off of the guy and put the sword back in its place.

The queen sent everyone back to work and walked closer to me, for the first time she didn't smile at me. Her finger touched my cheek wiping something off of it, and I didn't push her hand away.

"Where were you?" She asked still looking at me, I raised my eyebrow at her questioning why she would ask such thing. I stepped back and started walking away but of course she had to stop me.

"When I ask you a question, you answer me Charlene" she said my name between gritted teeth, I yanked my arm away from her.

"Where were you?!" She asked again,

"I was talking to Lupus, he was showing me around. I was bored!" I yelled back, her eyes glared at me but quickly looked away. She was about to say something, but thought against it. She pushed passed me, Lupus quickly followed after with a scared look. I sighed and started heading back to my room to bathe and have some rest.

Before I could sleep, I heard someone knock on the door and stared at it for a second. Did the queen someone to kill me in my sleep? If she did I don't think they'd knock, unless they were shitty at doing their job. I got and slowly opened the door, there she was standing in her nightgown. Her hair wasn't slicked back like always but it was messy, she pushed it out of her face and grabbed my hand without saying anything. She pulled me with her and I unconsciously followed after her, I think it's the lack of sleep that's making me obey.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked yawning, she pulled me out of the castle and towards a different field that I've never seen before, we were barefooted and I could feel the soft grass on my feet. She let go of my hand and whistled, we waited a moment and I heard the sound of hooves hitting the ground. I looked behind me and I was face to face with a giant black horse, how did it get so close? It breathed right into my face pushing my hair out of my face, I couldn't move I was too scared of it. I felt someone behind me, the queen grabbed my hand and gently put it on the horse's head.

"Her name is Raven" I felt the queen's breath on my neck from how close she was to me. I gently stroked the horse and caressed its head, I felt hands grab my waist and pull me up. At the sudden movement I yelped in surprise, the queen has picked me up and put on my the horse. She jumped and sat behind me, she grabbed both my hands and asked me to hold on Raven's hair but to not pull on it because she doesn't like it. Her body was glued to mine and I could feel her bulge touch my back making me feel very embarrassed, my thoughts were quickly gone when the horse started to move and I jumped at the sudden speed.

"It's alright, I won't let you fall" the queen whispered in my ear, I stayed quiet and enjoyed the beautiful night sky and the horse ride. 

***********************
This is just so cute don't you think...

-S