You're Just a Little Bit too Much Like Me

You and Michael stared at one another for a painfully long moment. He broke the eye contact to look into the kitchen, watching whatever Gregory was doing. Thankfully, you didn't have to deal with the awkwardness for too long.

"Y/N! Y/N!" Elizabeth came running out of her room, instantly wrapping her arms around your legs. "You're back! Again! I missed you!"

You laughed and gently ruffled her hair. "Of course I came back, Elizabeth. You should know by now that I'm not going to leave you guys."

Her eyes seemed to sparkle at that. She let out a little squeal and released you from her grasp as she started bouncing up and down in excitement.

All the commotion must've woken Evan up, too. He slowly walked out of his room, a gray blanket drawn over his shoulders and Fredbear in hand. He let out a small yawn as he reached the living room.

"So loud..." He whispered, rubbing his eyes gently with one of his hands.

"Sorry, bud." Michael said. He drew his attention back to his siblings, rather than the demon that was ravaging through the kitchen at this very moment. He leaned down to give his little brother's hair a tussle, then turned back to you. "I should go change. I'll be back in a sec."

You spent a few moments admiring his bare back before you heard a loud clang coming from the kitchen, successfully pulling you out of any thoughts you may have been having beforehand. You darted into the room to see Gregory staring at a fallen pot on the ground.

"Everything okay in here?" You asked cautiously. You remembered the look on his face when you startled him before, and didn't want a repeat of that incident.

He leaned down, picking it up and setting it gently on the stove. "Yeah. Um, sorry. I was trying to find something to eat and I guess all of the beans scared me."

He gestured to the open cabinet just above the stove, which was covered top to bottom in Heinz beans. What the hell did they need this many beans for!?

"Gregory?" Elizabeth's voice chimed from behind you. "You never stop by!"

She rushed forward and pulled him into a hug. "Oh. Um, yeah! Y/N brought me."

You felt and arm wrap around one of your legs. Looking down, Evan was peeking out at Gregory, tucked safely behind your legs. How adorable.

"Does that mean you came to play too...?" His voice was a little quieter than usual. Maybe he was a little more shy around people he didn't know as well? He had gotten more comfortable with you the longer you stayed at the house.

"I would love to, but first I need a snack." Gregory rubbed his stomach for effect. "If I don't eat soon, I might die of hunger!"

The kids gasped in fear. "Oh no! Y/N! Help him! We don't want Gregory to die! He just got here!" Elizabeth wailed as she clung to their guest.

"It's not that serious." Michael said, hands on his hips as he entered the kitchen. "Gregory's being a drama queen again."

You looked between the two of them. Michael sported an unamused look, while Gregory's expression was unreadable. It was a mix between longing and humor that mashed in a confusing way.

"But he's hungry, Michael!" Elizabeth cried out, finally letting Gregory go. "We have to feed him!"

Michael rolled his eyes. "You make him sound like a stray dog."

"That's not too far from the truth though, is it?" Gregory said, giving him a grin. "So go on, take pity and feed poor little me, before I starve to death and leave you with immense amounts of guilt!"

He rolled his eyes in response. "Fine."

You lightly punched your boyfriend's shoulder, more to get his attention than anything. "Be nice."

Before you could give him a chance to respond, you took Elizabeth and Evan back into the living room. Luckily for you, the show on the television was interesting enough to keep them entertained. They sat on the couch and watched intensely, not paying you any mind. It was kind of cute.

The kitchen was silent. Too silent. You snuck away from the children and peeked around the doorframe to see what was going on. Gregory was standing with his hands still placed on his hips. Michael's arms were crossed. It seemed like they were glaring at each other. You remembered that Michael said Gregory was like a little brother to him, but it certainly didn't seem like it. Though, from your experience Michael wasn't always the best older brother.

You took it upon yourself to calm the situation. "Boys. Come on now, let's make some food, alright?"

They both stared at you for a moment, like they were somehow surprised that you came back. You rolled your eyes at their expressions.

"How about you and I cook, Y/N?" Michael offered. "Gregory is our guest, after all."

He had a point. You didn't want to make Gregory work even more on his day off. He deserved rest. "You can go sit with Elizabeth and Evan if you want, Gregory."

"Sounds delightful." He gave you a small smile and walked out of the kitchen.

You stared at Michael for a moment, wondering if maybe something had gone on between them in the short moment you were gone, but he wouldn't meet your gaze. You would have to ask later, when Gregory wasn't around.

"Why'd you bring him here?"

Or, you could have the conversation now.

"It's his day off. I didn't think he would have fun just sitting around my house. Is that a problem?"

Michael pursed his lips like he wanted to say something, but decided against it. He shook his head and wrapped his arms around your waist, pulling you close to him. You wrapped your arms around him in response, resting your head against his now clothed chest.

"He just reminds me of myself." He whispered. The revelation surprised you, but you didn't say anything else. "He's got that snarky attitude, that funny charm, and he always looks sad.... I guess it's hard for me to get along with him because it's hard for me to get along with myself."

You gently rubbed circles on his back. "Michael... that's all the more reason the two of you need to get along. You can't blame Gregory for being like you."

You pulled away slightly to look him in the eyes. He rested his forehead against yours. You always loved staring into those beautiful blue eyes of his, but they were sadder than usual this time. You wanted nothing more than to make him happy. You brought a hand up to his face, gently cupping his cheek. He took that opportunity to lean in, drawing you into a sweet kiss.

You pulled your other hand from Michael's back and used it to cup his other cheek, further deepening your kiss. For the first time, the two of you were able to share a moment like this without being interrupted.

The two of you pulled away from one another, practically gasping for air. Michael stared at you for a moment, cheeks tainted a soft pink. A grin twisted its way onto his face, making you giggle a little.

"Let's get cooking, shall we?"

--

A/N: Hello everyone! I'm sorry for such a long absence. I got caught up in the last few months of school (guess who now has an associate's degree? i do!) and pushed this project to the sidelines. BUT I'm back in business now that summer has started, and I'm so glad to be able to write this for you all again. 

Now! Just so we're all on the same page: NEXT CHAPTER IS THE LAST ONE! But don't worry! Then my side projects finally get to start. There will be a one-shot collections book based in this universe. Requests will be available and everything happening will be considered canon unless stated otherwise! So bring me your best date ideas, funny moments, or tell me what interactions you want to see next! There is also a Gregory origin story that I plan on writing at some point as well, explaining just HOW he got to 1983. 

Thanks again for sticking with me and for always leaving so many nice comments! (seriously. we're at over 5 THOUSAND comments on this book. y'all blow my phone up CONSTANTLY) I hope I continue to bring good content to you all in the future, and if you want to stay up-to-date on what I'm doing and what projects I'm working on, follow me at @samunhinged on twitter!