Moving on

Samantha bit her nails nervously as Lucy braided her waist-length brown locks, getting ready to cut it all off. The Gilmore girl and the Brown siblings had been traveling around the East Coast for the last six weeks and they wanted to end the road trip with a bang. The spontaneous action of chopping off the 12-year-old's hair and dying it blond got the majority vote. So here they were.

Samantha wanted to do something crazy and unplanned while she could. Soon enough she'd be starting at Stars Hollow Middle School and getting passed around like a toy between her grandparents and her father. The Gilmore girl had a good poker face but the truth was, she was scared. The kind of terror that makes the butterflies in your stomach turn into hornets and makes you want to crap yourself. She was beside herself with fear, to leave everything she knew and start over at a new school with no Archie and no Lucy. But, instead of letting herself drown in her worry, the Gilmore girl was changing her appearance. New school, new look.

"Are you ready, Sam?" Lucy asked as she held the scissors to the top of the girl's braid, effectively bringing her out of her thoughts. Samantha breathed in deeply before nodding.

"Do it."

The 12-year-old squeezed her eyes shut as she heard the unnerving snips come from behind her. She could hear Archie gasping randomly and pointing out his sister's mistakes in the background, not helping her sanity at all. When the cuts finally stopped Samantha's eyes still stayed shut.

"All done," Lucy informed, smiling, as she gave her friend a mirror.

"Woah," Samantha breathed, as she ran her fingers through her now chin-length brunette locks.

"Step aside Lucy, I'm dying her hair" Archie pushed his sister away as he opened the blond hair dye bottle they got from Walgreen's the day before.

"Heck no. Do you remember the last time we let you do someone's hair?" Lucy asked, causing the boy to hang his head slightly.

"Archibald went bald..."

"You know what," Samantha started as she slammed her hands on the table and started walking to the bathroom, dragging the arguing siblings behind her. "Screw it! You both can do it."

"Yay!"

~:~

"Alright– combs, rags, instructions, timer, towels, tunes" Lucy listed off the items they needed to dye Samantha's hair while Archie checked them off on a piece of paper.

"Yes, yes, and yes," he nodded as he ruffled Samantha's brown locks, making the Gilmore girl laugh. "We've got everything."

"Okay, lean back Sam" Lucy instructed, as Archie went to turn on the music.

Samantha wrapped a towel around the upper half of her body before leaning her head back into the tub to let the water run over it. The 12-year-old felt herself relax as she listened to the music playing in the background. A smile grew on her face as she heard Freddy Mercury's voice sing through their Bluetooth speaker.

Tonight I'm gonna have myself a real good time

Samantha grinned as Lucy helped her back up and ushered her toward the sink.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" the brunette asked as she picked up the bowl of bleach, wagging the color brush she was holding in front of her friend.

I feel alive

"Do I need to sign a waiver?" Samantha asked, impatiently, smiling slightly when she heard Archie laugh in the background. "Make me blond Lucy goosey!"

And the world I'll turn it inside out, yeah

"Alrighty then," Lucy laughed as she gestured to the stool in front of the sink. "Take a seat please."

I'm floating around in ecstasy

Samantha giggled as she practically jumped onto the stool and Lucy put the bleach to hair dye on her head.

So, don't stop me now... don't stop me-

"Here we go," Lucy stated as she applied the first stroke.

Cause I'm having a good time... having a good time! Yes, I'm having a good time and I don't want to stop at all!

~:~

Samantha gasped, her hands shooting up to cup her mouth, as Lucy uncovered her eyes to reveal her new hairdo.

"Oh my gosh!" the Gilmore girl ran her fingers through her hair, "It's so short and so blond!" She turned around to face her friends, a huge grin plastered across her face. "I love it!"

The, now blond, 12-year-old turned back around to admire her haircut in the mirror as Lucy and Archie high-fived triumphantly.

"Let's take a picture!" Lucy squealed as she pulled out her Polaroid camera. Samantha grinned happily as she and Archie got on either side of the brunette.

"Aw, I love it!" Samantha smiled as she looked at the photo. Archie and Samantha both had their cheeks pressed against Lucy's as the trio smiled brightly for the picture, the Gilmore girl's blond hair practically glowing from the lamp that was behind her.

"The perfect end to a perfect summer," Samantha wrapped both her arms around her friends, her mood dampening slightly as she thought about going back home tomorrow. She wasn't ready for everything to change. "Guys... I'm scared."

"Everything will be okay, Sam," Archie wrapped an arm around her, Lucy taking the other side. "You'll see."

"Promise?"

"Cross my heart."

"Cross my heart," Samantha echoed the siblings as they locked their promise. Things were going to be better. At least... that's what she hoped.