- eight -

"Yooji," Winter whined, wiggling out of Karina's arms and tapping the older girl on the shoulder. "Up, Yooji, up." She nudged Karina's side and huffed.

Winter's face lit up as soon as Karina's eyes fluttered open. "Yooji! There is light, Yooji!" She pointed to the window happily, showing the older girl that the sun had just made its way over the buildings around them.

Yawning, Karina sat up and tried to recall what happened the night before. What was today? Shit. She had class in less than an hour.

"Thank you," she nodded to Winter and rolled out of bed, frantically digging through her drawers to find something presentable to wear. Winter sat quietly on the bed, observing as Karina changed into a pair of jeans and a light sweater.

"Yeji?!" Karina called, jogging across the hallway and into her bathroom. Winter followed closely behind her, standing in the doorway and watching as Karina put on a thin coat of makeup, trying to make herself seem more awake.

"Huh?" Yeji peered her head out of her doorway. Ningning and Giselle were already in class, and Yeji didn't have class until later that night. Karina got home from her classes around noon.

"I have class," Karina nodded in Yeji's direction before crossing the hallway and grabbing her backpack out of her room. Winter continued following her as she busily shoved her belongings into her bag. "So you have to watch Winter."

Yeji just nodded, running a hand through her hair and following the other two girls downstairs. Karina grabbed her keys but paused just as she was about to open the door and leave. Winter was directly behind her, looking at her expectantly.

"You can't come with me," Karina raised an eyebrow at Winter. "You have to stay with Yeji."

"No," Winter shook her head.

"Yes, Winter, I have class," Karina tapped her foot impatiently.

"Yes," Winter nodded once, causing Karina to groan. She sent Yeji a pleading look, and the older girl grabbed Winter's arm.

"Win, we can make pancakes for Karina when she gets back," she offered, nodding to Karina to leave while the girl was distracted. Karina mouthed a 'thank you' and slipped out the door, just in time to hear Winter whimper as the door shut.

Trying to shake off any guilt she had about leaving, Karina tossed her backpack into the passenger seat of the car and sped off down the street. The short drive to her school gave her time to think about everything that was going on with Winter. She didn't quite understand how she was becoming so attached to the girl.

Eventually, she arrived outside of the building. She realized she was five minutes late, mentally cursing herself for forgetting to set her alarm the night before. Karina had been distracted by Winter.

She grabbed her backpack and jogged into the building, noticing her teacher had already begun teaching. Sighing, she opened the door slowly and felt everyone's eyes on her. Her teacher stopped what he was doing and turned to look at her. She winced, knowing he was one of the strictest teachers in the school.

"Looks like you've finally decided to join us, Ms. Yu," he nodded once at Karina, who stood quietly in the doorway. "I've already collected the pieces we had due, so please put yours in your folder and bring over an extra set of brushes for yourself."

Karina nodded quickly, thankful that she hadn't gotten in too much trouble. She was rarely late to class. She jogged over to the back of the classroom, sliding her backpack into her hands and searching for the sketches she had made the night before. They were nowhere in sight.

"Shit," she huffed, bending down and digging further into her bag.

"Something wrong, Ms. Yu?"