- eleven -

Once all the girls sat down, Karina took it upon herself to talk first, knowing they needed to hear what she had found out as soon as possible.

"I did some... research, today," Karina said cautiously. The other two roommates looked at her in confusion and Karina sighed. She dug around in her backpack until she found the articles she'd printed out before she left.

"We wanted an explanation..." she said softly, passing the papers over to the girls. Both of them gasped as they saw the picture of the overturned car.

"Winter was in there?" Ningning asked in shock. Karina nodded and scooted closer to them on the couch.

"Yep," she pointed to passenger side of the car. "Right there. See that section? That's the part they had to saw off to get her out." She saw the other girls shudder at the thought, just as she had done.

"I knew that Jaemin guy was an idiot," Giselle mumbled under her breath. her grip on the paper had become so tight that Karina had to reach over and pry her fingers away. "How could he just leave her there?"

"Your guess is as good as mine," Karina sighed. Ningning turned the paper over and continued reading, her jaw dropping open.

"Traumatic brain injury?" The light skinned girl tilted her head to the side.

"What's that even mean?" Giselle added, raising her eyebrows in shock.

Karina had already done her research, and she handed them another paper she'd printed out that afternoon. Both girls read over the paper and Giselle shook her head.

"This isn't English, Rina, how am I supposed to know what a 'Diffuse Axonal' is?" Giselle scoffed. Ningning shook her head, shooting Karina an apologetic look.

"That's the specific type, I think," Karina pointed to the bolded words on the page. "I don't really know much either... it's confusing," Both girls nodded in agreement.

Sighing, Karina slumped back into her chair. "What did you guys have to tell me?" she asked, remembering what her roommates mentioned earlier.

Giselle and Ningning exchanged glances. They both had just seen how much work Karina had put into trying to figure out what was going on with Winter. It seemed rude of them to say anything now. Silently, they agreed to keep their mouths shut for the time being.

"Nothing," Giselle shook her head. "Winter's in your room, by the way. She was... she cried for a long time after you left," The Half Korean answered honestly. Karina bit her lip and stood up.

"Take those bags with you," Ningning added, pointing to the shopping bags in the kitchen. "Those are all Winter's."

Nodding, Karina grabbed the shopping bags and glanced in them. "Can you fill Yeji in when she gets back?" Karina asked, standing at the bottom of the stairs. She didn't want to have to explain everything for the third time that day. Both girls nodded and Karina sent them a thankful smile.

Ascending the stairs, Karina had began to wonder just how Winter got there. How did she manage to get on a plane and wonder here on her own? What was the glass in her shoes from? And the bruises?

Sighing, Karina opened her bedroom door slowly. Winter was asleep on her bed, and the older girl decided against waking her. She set the bags on the floor beside her closet and crossed her arms, wondering where she should put the clothes.

She realized just how much effort she was putting into accommodating Winter when she began moving the clothes in her closet around to make room for Winter's things. This was a new feeling for her, and she wasn't sure how she felt about it.