- nineteen -

"How do you know Winter?" the blonde asked once they were on the road. Karina shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

"She's my... uh," Karina cleared her throat and looked out the window. "My girlfriend."

The car nearly ran off the road when Ryujin heard Karina's words. "Your what?"

"Girlfriend," Karina bit her lip.

"Wait, but didn't she like... read your texts to the entire school and out you?"

Karina nodded.

They pulled up next to the woods behind Winter's house and Ryujin parked the car, signaling Karina to wait for a moment.

"And you're sure she's not just going along with it because she doesn't... understand?" the blonde asked carefully. Karina grew confused. "Like... she had a boyfriend before, not a girlfriend, y'know?"

Karina bit her lip as the thought crossed her mind. She didn't have an answer. Sighing, the dark haired girl shook her head and exited the car. "I'm not worried about that right now," she said, leaning down so she could see the other girl. "My main concern is getting her back home safe. Thanks for the ride, but you can go now."

She closed the door and stormed off without another word. Karina was reminded of why she left this town. Everyone was so close minded. She heard Ryujin's car speed off just as she reached the beginning of the woods. The back of Winter's small brick home could be seen through the trees, and Karina wasted no time in pushing her way through the brush.

There was caution tape draped all across the backdoor, as well as the windows. They really hadn't left anything up to chance.

Then something caught Karina's eye. The storm cellar. Glancing both ways to make sure no one was watching her, she crossed the yard and pulled on the handle of the cellar. Shit. Locked.

She was desperate now. Desperate for answers. She kicked the door in frustration, about to turn back around when she heard a cracking noise. The hinges.

Karina quickly kicked the door again. and again. And again, until the hinge of the door snapped off and hung down. She quickly crawled down into the cellar, pulling out her phone and turning on the flashlight.

Luckily, the cellar seemed to be connected to the house. Karina climbed the small metal latter, pushing the trap door above her open. She pulled herself up, shining the flashlight around and realizing she was in the garage. Mission accomplished.

Quietly, she entered the house. Right away, she was greeted with a scene that made her gasp. The white tile floor of their kitchen was stained with blood. Glass was shattered everywhere, and Karina was thankful she wore boots with thick soles.

Glass.

Giselle had mentioned something about how there had been glass in Winter's feet when she showed up at their apartment. She couldn't have possibly fled straight to their apartment after this happened, could she? Karina bit her lip.

All she knew, and all she was sure of, was that Winter wouldn't kill someone unless it was absolutely necessary.

The kitchen reeked of dried blood, and Karina headed towards the rickety wooden staircase. Each step felt as if the floor would give out any second. The house was a mess. No one would suspect that mega-popular cheerleader Winter Kim lived here.

She found Winter's bedroom right away. Bright yellow. Karina bit her lip to hide her smile, realizing that some things really hadn't changed.

Bumping the door open with her hip, Karina took a moment to study Winter's old bedroom. The walls were yellow, the same yellow that Winter still adored. The same color as the hoodie Karina had given to her.