epilogue

"Yes, mom," Karina rolled her eyes, looking over at the girl in the passenger seat. "We just left the airport. We'll see you soon."

"You'll see, mom, I told you," Karina bit her lip and glanced over at Winter. The smaller girl in the passenger seat smiled softly. "Alright mom, I've got to drive. I'll see you soon."

Karina laughed softly once she hung up, setting her phone in the cupholder and lacing Winter's fingers with hers with her free hand.

"You look nervous," Winter tilted her head to the side slightly, letting her loose waves fall over her shoulders. "Are you nervous?"

Karina shrugged and turned her attention back to the road, following the familiar route to her childhood home. "A little, yeah. I have no reason to be, though."

"It will be fun, right?" Winter traced her fingers around Karina's wrist absentmindedly.

"Of course," Karina smiled. "You get to meet my crazy family." Winter giggled and flipped Karina's hand over, tracing circles in her palm.

Weeks had passed since Winter's acquittal. The seasons had changed, leaving a light blanket of snow across the ground in New York. In Seoul, however, it was practically the same temperature. It was uncomfortable outside no matter how many layers you were wearing.

After she was released, Winter was required to begin routine therapy appointments. At first, the smaller girl had been hesitant. But with ushering from Karina, and time, the bi-weekly visits began to show progress.

She'd never be back to 100% normal. But as her doctor had said, there was always room for improvement.

One of Karina's main concerns had been her and Winter's relationship. She talked to Winter's therapist right off the bat, firing question after question at the middle aged woman.

What she'd walked away with was a never ending list of medical terms, which basically explained to Karina that yes, Winter was capable of love. And a relationship was fine as long as things were taken at a slow pace, and Winter was well aware of where things were going.

Winter was aware. Definitely aware. When Karina had discussed the future with her, she was met with a babbling Winter, going on and on about what they would name their children, and what color they would paint their house. (Yellow, obviously)

The thought of spending the rest of her life with Winter gave Karina butterflies every time she thought about it. But she could wait. The more people she met on a daily basis, the more she realized how much she needed Winter.

And now, here they were. Weeks later, holding hands in the car on the way to Karina's childhood home. Karina's mother invited Karina and her 'mystery girlfriend' to spend Christmas with them.

So yes, Karina was nervous. Extremely nervous. She had no idea how her parents would react when they find out who the mystery girl actually was. Because as far as they knew, Karina still hated Winter with every bone in her body.

"Here we are," Karina smiled nervously. She squeezed Winter's hand and nodded towards the house on the corner of the street. A group of small children were gathered on the front lawn, kicking around an inflatable beach ball.

"I like it," Winter smiled widely, sitting up straighter to get a better view of the house. Karina parked the car on the side of the road and took a deep breath, turning to Winter.

"Y'ready?" She asked, biting her lip. Winter nodded.

"Are you," she rebutted, catching onto the fact that Karina was more nervous than she had admitted to being.