Chapter 23, Family Reunion

***

***

       Me and Wesley had been texting for a few hours when i got a text from a random number. I furrowed my eyebrows and clicked on the text. I was expecting my dad but once I saw i knew it wasn't him.

my eyes widened as I responded to the text. I texted this number for 5 minutes before i quickly grabbed my things and ran outside to my car.

I ran down the stairs and outside unlocking my car and throwing the door open. i jumped inside and pressed on the gas peddle.

***

i arrived at the restaurant and i headed inside. i looked around and spotted him. I walked past everyone and up to him. Once he saw me he stood up and walked towards me and engulfed me in a hug. I hugged him back tightly and squeezed my eyes shut.

"i can't believe you're here." i whispered. "how did you find me?"

"you're my sister i always know." Oliver chuckled. i smiled sadly as i pulled away from the hug.

"he sent you a letter too, didn't he?" i said, sadly.

Oliver sighed and pulled out the letter, and i did the same.

"$500 in there too?" he asked.

"fucking bitch." i chuckled. "i put it in the savings account to help me with rent and stuff." I explained. Oliver chuckled and sat down in his chair.

"i thought he was a pussy before but now i know he is." Oliver sighed.

"i met up with him." I said as I sat down across from him. Oliver perked up and looked at me with confused wide eyes. "yeah, i know. i ended up punching him in the nose and throwing a drink on him and his wife." i said.

"men suck." Oliver chuckled.

"tell me about it." i sighed with a smile. "he has kids by the way. Jack and Cecilia, the oldest is 8."

"but he left-"

"10 years ago. yeah, i know." i said. "that's what made me punch him in the face." i said nervously. my leg was shaking and my heart was pounding. the air seemed thinner like space.

my vision seemed to become blurry, as i struggled to get air through my lungs.

"hey, Caroline, are you okay?" Oliver asked.

i gripped the table cloth trying to calm down. my legs went numb and when i tried to stand my knees buckled and i gripped the table to keep myself up.

"woah, C. let's go. we need to go." he said.

but i couldn't breathe. everything seemed to slow down and the world became blurry.

"Caroline! you need to breathe, take deep breaths."

it felt like i was dying, it felt like everything bad in the world seemed to come true. like the world was ending. it felt terrible. my heart began pounding even more. it seemed it was trying to keep me alive since my lungs weren't. it felt like my throat was closing and air didn't exist anymore.

the air was thin and my ears began to ring. shaking and crying i tried to get myself back before i slipped away. i gripped onto Oliver's hand to keep myself in reality.

breathe in for 6 seconds breathe out for 6 seconds.

repeat.

soon my vision came back, my ears took ahold of the talking in the room. my heart seemed to slow down and the air seemed normal.

i slowly let go of Oliver's hand and i looked at him, there was a waitress who stood next to him and she held a towel. she slowly pat my forehead and my cheeks apparently I was sweating.

it felt cold in the restaurant, when i realized that i just had a panic attack, and a bad one.

Oliver quickly grabbed our stuff and helped me up. he had his arm around my waist as we walked outside. I pointed to my car and he helped me in the passenger side and ran to the drivers side and got in.

"are you allowed to drive?" i asked.

"yeah, i've been good for a while." he explained as he put the key in and started up my car.

"i thought they would've made it longer." i said.

"well, it helps when you become the owner of a company." he explained. "record kind of get wipes clean."

i nodded my head. Oliver got arrested a while back for drug possession. he's been out for a while now but i haven't seen him since i was 15. he was in jail for about a year or two and once he got out he came back for his things and then left, and never came back.

"i'm really sorry about this C. you don't deserve to deal with this bullshit. i feel terrible for not taking you with me when i left. i regret it everyday. you always dealt with everyone's bullshit. mom, dad, me, grandma Yasmin, and grandpa Lei. all of it. i'm so sorry C, i'm so sorry." Oliver said, his voice becoming shaky. "and i'm sorry i wasn't there for Grandma Lilly's funeral. i couldn't do it, see mom again. see grandma like that." Oliver said as he wiped away a tear from his cheek.

my heart ached as i watched Oliver break. I had never seen him like this. it made me feel terrible. i had missed him more than anyone. i put my hand on his shoulder. my heart hurt and my throat hurt. my eyes stung and i felt my body get hot and shaky.

"it's okay." is all i could choke out.

"no, it's not. you were a child, it should've been me that had to give up my life. i'm 4 years older than you. it should've been me. but i was too selfish and i was terrible to you. and i regret it everyday." He said as he began to cry even more.

"Oli, im sorry."

"don't be, none of this is your fault. you tried to help and all me and mom ever did was make it worse. i've changed since then, i hope you'll forgive me, because i really do want to be better. i want to have my sister back." he said, whispering the last sentence.

my heart broke and i held back my tears and it made my throat sting. i smiled sadly and pulled him into the tightest hug ever.

"i'm so sorry, i'm so sorry." he whispered.

"it's okay." i whispered. "it's all gonna be okay."

i felt him hug me tighter and it made me smile. i was getting my brother back.

"i hope it's not too soon to say that i'm getting married."

i quickly pulled away from him, in shock.

"you're lying." i said in disbelief.

"nope." he said with a smile. "in 2 weeks." he said. "her name is Scarlet." he said proudly. "she pulled my head out of my ass." he chuckled.

"i love her already." i said with a smile. "is this my invite?"

"of course it is."

"where is it?"

"Pennsylvania." he said.

"i'll see if i can take time off of work." i said.

god i hope i could get time off.

***