Chapter Five - 'Blood'

"Sit him down" I told Jett, pulling a dining chair out from the table as Jett collapsed his brother down. Phoenix's head fell backwards as he tried to stop the blood flow. I raced through the kitchen and grabbed as much medical utensils as possible before racing back.

"You shouldn't have gone" I angrily mumbled pulling the cloth away from his bloodied face to examine the damage.

I already knew by the amount of blood that he was going to need stitches, and it was going to hurt like hell without anaesthetic.

Phoenix was breathing heavily, the rise and fall of his bare chest unnerving as I placed heavy gauze over the clear clean cut deep and menacing over his right eyebrow.

"It needs stitches" I told Jett as I pressed heavily down on the wound, trying to get a stop on his blood loss

"Can you grab the Saline from the left pocket of the kit Jett please?" I asked, needing an extra pair of hands as I applied pressure, watching Phoenix flinch at the force

He did as he was told and stood beside me unsure of what to do next

"Grab the gauze and soak it in the Saline, clean up all the blood you can" I told him as he hurried to follow my instructions

My pressure was subsiding the blood flow, and once I was sure I had clotted the blood and stopped it from exiting, I gently pulled away and began to examine the extent of injuries.

"Thanks" I told Jett, taking the saline blood covered gauze from him as he watched intently.

I began to dab away the blood around his face, his eyes once again never meeting my own

"You should have gone to the hospital Jett" I spoke, getting a better look at the long slice "You would have gotten in straight away unless there's another reason you are avoiding that place" I continued, feeling the need to get the truth from his own mouth before I announced what I knew.

Jett's gaze grew intense on me, and I could almost feel his eyes burn through my skin.

"I told you not to take another hit, I told you it would open up" I mumbled towards Phoenix this time, receiving no comment, no eye contact. When I stood back, he lifted his head upright again to stare at the floor where blood dropped.

They'd brought this lie into my house, again

"You realize if the police find out, I'll get in trouble for helping you, knowing what I know" I spoke forcefully as I stared at them both.

"We're sorry Eden, we are, and believe me, I'm trying to put an end to it, but he's lost his god damn mind" Jett cracked, angrier than I'd ever seen him before as he pointed a finger towards Phoenix

"It's none of your business" Phoenix spoke, eyes on the floor

"It is my damn business if I have to drag your broken ass here every week Phoenix" Jett continued loudly

"Keep it down, my friend is asleep down the hall" I hushed seriously. There was no way I could get Penny involved in this, it was far too complicated let alone for me to deal with.

Jett gave me a sympathetic glance before he shook his head at his brother and walked back towards the front room and out the front door. I was worried he wasn't coming back when Phoenix surprisingly spoke towards me.

"He'll be back. Gone out for a fag none the less" He scoffed

"Why are you doing this to yourself?" I asked eager to get some real answers

"My own reasons" He shrugged casually, eyes still on the floor

"I can't keep doing this you realize? I won't be taken advantage of" I shook my head as I began to ready the stitches for his wound