Chapter Nine

A Royal Storehouse and Prison:
He was chained to two steel poles that stuck up almost six feet in the air, being the only thing in the room.

Gabby guarded the door as Abraham followed a trembling Fiona to the man in the room. She dashed to the man's form, wrapping her arms around his neck tightly, then swiftly letting go when he let out a gasp of pain.

She smoothed out some of the hair on his head, then lifted his chin, but upon seeing his face stumbled back. "That's not him," she whispered. Abraham cursed. Gabby twirled to face the doorway, but she was already being shoved aside, knocked onto her hip and right arm.

Blowing aside a few sunset-red locks of hair, Gabby squinted at the scene being laid out before her. Nine men had charged into the room, eight of which seemed to be simple palace guards, but the ninth was a look-alike of the chained imposter.

Gritting her teeth, Gabby pushed herself onto her elbows and snatched her makeshift spear in both hands. Charging at the nearest two guards with a cry, she jabbed one in the stomach with the flat end, swiping the sharp end at the other guard's neck. Two down.

Abraham had already taken care of two others, and Fiona was looking dazed while knocking away one guard, and staring at the ninth man.

"Gabriel?" She whispered, sounding desperate and betrayed. Her eyes were filled with hurt, and she charged at the ninth man, whipping her rope at him. He easily dodged her attacks, grabbing her by her wrists and knocking her onto her knees in front of him. She cried out, trying to roll herself free.

"Your majesty, you are hereby under arrest of the Ametrine Dynasty High Council, under treason for abandonment of the crown."

Red spots flecked Gabby's vision, and after tripping another guard, she sprinted at Gabriel from behind. Jumping as high as her short legs could propel her, Gabby half-landed on Gabriel's shoulders, tipping him backward as she punched at his throat, clawing at his face. She barely managed to make his nose bleed before he got a grip on her left hip and thigh, peeling her off of him and tossing her like a rag doll to the opposite wall.

Gabby landed with a crunch, sure something was broken, but when she saw that Abraham had taken out the rest of the guards, she felt a tinge of pride as her vision slowly blackened, her whole body burning with pain.

Less than a minute earlier:
Fiona was switched to autopilot, sloppily swinging her whip at Gabriel. Her mind was empty, incapable of feeling emotion. Survival mode. Gabriel snatched her wrists in a moment of hesitation. No. She thrashed and struggled against his steel grip to no avail. When he started speaking his voice was monotone but demanded power. He didn't care if he hurt her.

Fiona felt hot tears flood down her already stained cheeks. It couldn't end like this!

She sensed Gabriel starting to drag her to the door when a wild cry came from behind them, knocking Gabriel off balance and causing his grip to loosen enough that Fiona could twist away. She laid there for a moment, panting on the iron paneled floor. With a gasp, Gabby came sailing in the air above her, then Fiona heard an anguished whimper from the opposite wall as she turned and saw Gabby curled in the fetal position. No no no...

Gabriel was swiping away blood from his chin and rubbing a bruised neck. He lurched toward Fiona, but she was pulled out from under him just as he would have crushed her in his silver armor.

Abraham pulled her across the floor, then to their feet as they fled. Out the door, through unfamiliar halls, out a gate, and back into the forest. After what had seemed to be forever, Abraham's pace slowed and with endless strength, he piggybacked Fiona and doubled their distance. Nobody was following them.