Dessert

[It's Steven's birthday and a dinner reservation awaits, but there's a present waiting for him that wasn't exactly planned by either party.]
[Word Count: 1810]

[🌙This chapter contains mature themes and sexual references.🌙]
***
I tapped my foot nervously as I gripped onto the bathroom sink, my heart racing uncontrollably in anticipation. This seemed to be the longest amount of time that I have ever waited, and normally I was an extremely patient person.

After a few more trudging moments had passed, I finally conceded, unable to wait any longer. I lifted my head and reached towards the test that I had flipped over to dispel any temptation from trying to eagerly and prematurely see.

My hand flew to my mouth as I rotated the test over.

Pregnant.

It confirmed every suspicion and symptom that I had been experiencing for weeks. Tears pricked my eyes as I silently cried into my palm. These weren't tears of sadness or disappointment, but of pure and unadulterated joy, mixed with uncertainty and slight panic.

"Are you almost ready, love?" Steven abruptly knocked onto the bathroom door and I hurriedly jumped, dropping the pregnancy test onto the ground in a moment of fright, causing it to tumble in a loud noise.

"Y-yes!" I quickly returned, kneeling to retrieve the fallen test. "Just a moment, Steven!" I continued, standing and gazing at myself into the mirror.

Because it was his birthday, we had decided to celebrate at one of our favorite restaurants. Of course, they served the best steak in town, which I was grateful for, but they also served vegan options for Steven, which he thought was spectacular.

I had been in the bathroom for around 30 minutes, but that was also due to me curling my hair and applying makeup for our celebratory dinner. And after I had finished with my routine, I had taken the test that I had bought a few days before.

With panicked breaths, I gripped the pregnancy test in my hand as butterflies began to swirl in my stomach. Steven and I had talked about children and our desire to one day become parents. We wanted several children, whether by adoption or by our own pregnancies.

Every life was precious and deserving of a beautiful life, and we so desperately desired to give children that opportunity to flourish.

We planned to institute a loving family, a fully functional environment of acceptance and unconditional love to combat his own experiences and memories of a dysfunctional family, and my desire to raise children in kindness and understanding, to prepare them for the world that they were to one day face on their own.

But we didn't plan for this.

We were both just starting in our careers and were extremely busy with work, making the conversation of a baby limited and fleeting. Of course we used protection, both condoms and birth control-

Wait.

I had to stop taking my pills because of a counteracting medication. I hadn't been birth control for weeks, perhaps an entire month at this point.

Steven knocked again. "Are you alright, love? Do you need me to come in?" He questioned sweetly, and his face close to the door in concern as he awaiting my response.

"No, Steven, it's alright. I'm heading out." I retorted and slipped the test into the deep pocket of my dress, a certainly rare find that Steven was excited to purchase for me when I had mentioned my need for a dress like this.

My mind swirled with concerns and questions, mainly about the fact that we weren't necessarily prepared for a baby.

How would Steven react, knowing that I was pregnant with his child?