prologue

☆

TALIA'S STORY STARTED WITH A piano in the year 2006, ten years before her life would dramatically change. Though, that night, her life had changed in the best way — Talia had met her husband for the first time.

The night had been like any other night: Talia had played, finding herself lost in the music that her fingers produced, where she only remembered the restaurant she worked in when the manager whispered requests to her.

As always, Talia adored the glitz and glamour that came with her job. Being a pianist meant Talia could wear the most dazzling of dresses, heels that clicked as she walked, and earrings that sparkled.

Talia loved a spotlight, and she made the most of it when she was under it.

Though, her spotlight gained a shadow as a man joined her on stage, holding two whiskey glasses with a cocky smile on his face. Talia's fingers did not startle at his intrusion, but her eyes narrowed, silently questioning what he was doing.

Placing, the two glasses on the top of Talia's piano, the man sat down next to her. Talia did not say a word as she continued, becoming aware that the attention was now on them both.

"What are you doing?" Talia whispered.

But the strange man pushed the sleeves of his tuxedo upwards, fingers joining Talia on the piano as he fell into harmony with her. Talia's eyes remained on him, wondering if he was challenging her or simply being annoying.

"You looked a little lonely up here," the man murmured quietly to her.

Talia rolled her eyes at him, looking away in the hope that he had not caught her secret smile. As her eyes fell on the bar, she witnessed the manager reassure her with an approving nod, so Talia suspected that the strange man knew her boss — at least she hoped that was the case or he was costing her the new job.

So, Talia's fingers glided across the keys, smirking to herself as she challenged the man to keep up with herself. The song transitioned to a softer classical piece, to which she was surprised that he knew, but she found herself lost in the music again until the piece finally finished. Around them, the applause echoed with Talia bitter that her spotlight had been temporarily shared.

"You play almost as well as I do," the man confessed.

Talia scoffed a laugh, shooting him a ridiculous look, not believing those words for a second. On his face, there was a bemused look, but Talia was struck by his eyes, unknowing to if they were a shade of blue or green. But Talia was still working, so she started another song as the man continued sitting with her.

"Your skill was adequate at best," Talia told him. "You play the chords as if they must be perfect, not because you love to play."

"Ouch," the man muttered, perhaps sarcastically. "Perhaps you should teach me then."