Epilogue

My ribs scream as I get escorted from place to place. First to get finger printed and my mugshot taken and then into an interrogation room where I spill everything about this job. I keep Martac out of it but go into graphic detail about Fergus and his crew. I never ask for a lawyer.

Tensei comes in a few hours later when I'm done talking and gets me water and dinner that he picked up from the closest fast food place. We talk and it's light and easy and he assures me that he'll wait for me, no matter how long. He also procures a lawyer for me that is apparently already working on my case.

When I'm taken to prison to wait sentencing, I see the nurse on call for the night and she give me over the counter pain meds that do nothing and says that I just have to wait out my broken ribs. The bruising was awful and I barely leave my bed for the first week while I wait for the hearing.

Both Tensei and Tenya testify at my sentencing hearing. I have to try not to cry when Tenya is really hyping up my strong character and how he knows me personally and that I'm already reformed and would be willing to do community service as penance instead of time in prison. Tensei even offers to sponsor my probation and work at the agency to continue my role there.

Unfortunately, I had a hard ass for a judge and he sentenced me to three years behind bars. He believed that it was a premeditated crime, which it was, and I did have a hand in it since my prints were on the storage container wall, which they were, but when my lawyer argued that my prints weren't on the stolen goods, the judge unjustly turned a deaf ear.

So it's six months later and I'm in a jumpsuit that does nothing for my self image and it's even in a color that washes me out and makes me feel sickly as well as look it.

"L/n!" I hear my name called down the hall. "I left my key in the brake room again, can you help me out?"

"Jim, how many times are you going to be able to get away with that after I'm gone?" I ask, leaving my mop in the bucket. I got put on custodial duties as part of my work detail while doing my stint in prison.

"I have no idea. You've been a real godsend!" He smiles sheepishly at me as I tough the door leading to the guard room. "I'll miss you for other reasons too, ya know. I guess it's a good and bad thing I've got you for awhile yet."

"No offense, but I won't miss you" I tease. Most of the correctional officers here are pretty chill, but there are a couple who don't treat any of us like people and some days, I feel like less of a human. One in particular keeps trying to petition the warden to strap me down at night in case I try to escape since my quirk is 'ridiculously overpowered'. He was just mad that he couldn't cuff me to lead me to visitation like he does everyone else.

"I'm hurt!" He slaps his fist over his heart, miming a knife protruding from his chest.

"I don't need reminders of this place. I'm just ready to move on. Even if I'm not half way through yet." I admit, going back to my job.

"I get it. And I know you'll do better things with your freedom"

I just nod, getting the mop back out and scrubbing the boot prints he had tracked across the floor.

The easiest way to get through my time is to keep my head down and just do my job. I hate most of the cleaning duties my supervisor gives me, but I never say a word of complaint and she seems to appreciate it. Just last week, she stopped giving me bathroom duty.

I look forward to visitation day the most. Tenya can't make it every week, and I even asked him not to over burden himself but he and Martac switch off so I never feel lonely. Tensei even came up one week with Tenya. We had a moment alone and it was a little awkward, but basically, he thanked me and can tell Tenya feels more at peace with a clear conscious. He hasn't joined him since.