44

"Hello, girls. Good afternoon. What brings you to my office after school hours?"

The fake sweetness in Principal Alina's voice made Sophie gag. But the acting skills she'd developed from her time as a spy kicked in, and she forced herself to look ashamed.

"I'm really, really sorry, Principal," Sophie mumbled, letting her words trip over each other as if she were nervous. "I didn't mean to. Chloe, Biana, and I were helping set up for the football game tonight and... some kid started insulting us! I just got so mad, I couldn't help it. He said I probably punched like a girl, and I asked if he wanted to find out, and then we punched him and got sent to the office and-"

She pretended to burst into tears, hiding her face in her arms.

"Who was the kid?" Principal Alina asked, her voice still light.

Sophie racked her brain for a name, but Chloe saved her. "Dex Dizznee."

Nice save, Sophie thought. If she calls in Dex, he can cover for us.

Principal Alina sighed. "Girls. You know this is unacceptable. We never punch others, no matter the circumstance. I'm going to need you to-"

"Excuse me? Principal? Is it okay if I use the bathroom?" Biana asked, her voice tiny.

The principal's eyes narrowed. "Why? Do you need to use it right this moment?"

Biana nodded furtively. "Yes. It's an emergency."

"What kind of emergency?"

Sophie rolled her eyes internally. Did she really need to know what "kind" of emergency?

Biana thought for a moment, biting her lip. "Erm... well... Principal, you should know. A feminine emergency." Her expression turned prompting.

Principal Alina paled in realization. "Well... alright. But don't be gone long. The closest bathroom is a while away, and I don't want you to take that long. Just use the office bathroom this way." She paused. "And... if you need anything, ask the nurse. I don't think she's left yet."

Biana nodded gratefully and hurried off.

Principal Alina turned back to Chloe and Sophie, opening her mouth to reprimand them.

Hurry up, Biana, Sophie pleaded mentally. Death by Principal Alina's yelling isn't exactly how I wanted to die.

________________________________

After a couple minutes, Sophie tuned her out.

The high-pitched shouting turned to muffled shrieks, like the constant hum of air conditioning back in her dorm at the Black Swan's headquarters. The sound buzzed on and on until another voice joined the noise.

"Sorry about that," Biana muttered, her eyes on the floor as she entered the room. She looked up briefly, catching Sophie's gaze. Her hands twitched. Sign language?

KO.

Knockout. It was Black Swan slang for lets-beat-them-up.

Principal Alina sighed, making her way around the desk to guide Biana to her seat. "Please sit, Miss Vacker. I'm not yet done with officiating your punishment."

Sophie watched with fearful anticipation as the principal placed a hand on Biana's shoulder. Quicker than she realized, Biana had elbowed Alina in the nose, tripping her and sending her spiraling towards the ground. Alina tried to get up, but Sophie and Chloe quickly pinned her down. The principal muttered a vague threat but passed out unconscious before she could finish.

"The bomb," Biana said breathlessly. "It's in the nurse's office. Half an hour and this whole city is gone."

Sophie tried to slow her pounding heartbeat. "You guys go grab Dex and Fitz- I'll secure the bomb, make sure no one takes it."

Chloe and Biana nodded and left.

Sophie tried to remember where the nurse's office was. Behind the front desk? Next to it? Too late, she realized she should've brought Biana as a navigator.

"Looking for something?" a voice asked.

Too late, she realized she'd stumbled into a trap.

Ignoring her instincts, Sophie followed the sound to a door at the end of the hallway, reading "Nurse's Office." She grabbed the handle and swung the door open as hard as she could.

A loud thunk! sounded along with a halfhearted shout. "Ow! You know, you didn't have to hit me with the door. I haven't done anything yet."

Yet.

The person struggled to his feet. His hands clutched one side of his head- presumably where the door had hit him. His dark Neverseen cloak was ripped and stained with red. But all Sophie could focus on was his disheveled blonde hair and gleaming ice blue eyes.

"Hey Foster," Keefe said, sounding sheepish. "Long time no see."