Chapter 25

May 26, 1996

Things have gone from stressful to intense. The anxiety of waiting on various lawyers to call has gotten to both my parents. I'm just doing my best to stay out of their way. It's not hard to do at my mom's since she's out most of the time anyway, but it's a little more difficult at dads. I've found myself capitalizing on the fact that he still believes I have a social life. Ever since he moved into his own place I only see him on weekends and he and mom only speak through their lawyers. Not that my mom knows any more about me than my dad does, but his inability to be available gives him a valid excuse. It's easy enough to convince him that I'm going out with friends when in all actuality I've been spending my weekends alone writing in my little book at the coffee shop just down the road from his condo. That's where I am now. My friend Denise works here and sometimes she comes and sits with me on break. Her mom is sick and she's struggling with her own stuff. Our situations are different but it still helps to have someone to talk to who understands a dysfunctional home life. I think it helps her too. I hope so anyway.

Andra sat on the floor of her room Savannah's diary open on her lap

Andra sat on the floor of her room Savannah's diary open on her lap. She had turned Savannah's story over from every angle and still couldn't make all the pieces fit. There was still so much that they didn't know. It was also more than a little unsettling to see her mom's name mentioned so often in a dead girl's handwriting. Almost everything Savannah had written seemed to match up with her mother's story so there was that at least.

Then there was this meeting with Gloria to consider. She had no idea what they were walking into or even how sick Savannah's mother was. She had wanted to discuss it with Cameron but both of them had been so freaked out after what happened in the car that she never brought it up. She had been a little afraid that he would drop her off and head straight home. Instead he had hung around to help her with the teaser for her YouTube page. They had also managed to get the countdown clock up and running.

Setting the journal off to one side she leaned forward and slid her laptop toward her. She wanted to rewatch the video one more time before she shut her computer off. Hitting the play button the familiar circle spun a few times before she saw herself appear on camera and begin to speak.

"Hi everyone. I know I haven't had a lot to post in the last few weeks and I'm sure as you'll recall I told you in my last video that I had something in the works. Well, the wait is almost over. We're starting a countdown tonight and I say we because I have been assured I have an actual crew for what's about to happen next. I'm sorry I don't have more to share now but you'll understand why I can't when the clock hits zero. What I can tell you is that we're going to have one phenomenal live for you and you'll be able to interact with us throughout. I promise you're not going to want to miss this. Alright, guys, well time is quickly running out and we still have a lot of work to do to get ready so just keep an eye on the clock and I'll see you soon. Bye!" The clock was steadily working its way down to zero. Only six days and twenty hours remaining.