Chapter Fourteen - Remember Me

Twilight stared at him before hesitantly taking a step closer. "What? No no..you're messing with me..you can't- It's me, Twilight! We fought against monsters together, we traveled to each divine beast together! How do you not remember??" He panicked, his eyes widened as his pupils dilated. Wild yelped and backed away. "I..I don't know you! I don't know who I am either..I can't remember..I.." He trailed off. He placed his hand on his head as he tried to recall everything. Though it was fruitless.

"What..? You're..Link..Hero of Hyrule! But I called you Wild..please remember me..Please! I'm begging you! I've waited so long to have you in my arms again.. remember me, little hero.!" The wolf Hylian exclaimed as his body began to tremble. He wrapped his shaky arms around Wild in a tight embrace as he began to weep. Tears rolled down his cheeks nonstop as muffled sobs and gasps left his lips. Wild wasn't sure on what he should do. A strange man was crying into his shoulder, of course he'd be concerned. He hesitantly hugged back and sighed softly. "I'm sorry..I can't remember you..I'm so sorry.." He whimpered out, his voice hardly above a whisper. He slowly pulled away and stood up. "Well um.. Twilight, was it? I can tell we must've been close, I hope I recognize you soon.." he smiled softly. "R..Right."

The two walked out of the Shrine of Resurrection, Twilight constantly glancing at Wild on the way. He let out a soft sigh, gritting his teeth. 'I'll make you remember..I have to,' he thought before grabbing Wild's hand. "What are you doing?"

"I'm retracing our steps from our journey. Maybe it'll trigger something.. Anything." Twilight explained, before dragging him off to the different locations they've shared the fondest memories at. The beast hero pointed and described the moments they had at each place, getting more and more desperate as he watched for Wild's reaction. But there was nothing. No smile, no gasp or nod, no spark in his eyes of familiarity. Nothing. "Here you said you were gonna let me use a paraglider..you said you'd teach me..you..promised me you would-" He murmured as the hope drained from his eyes and voice. He stumbled back before falling onto his rear, burying his face in his hands. Wild frowned slightly before walking closer and sitting next to him. He stayed quiet for a moment before looking up at the distressed Link. "Twi..--" Twilight immediately perked up and grasped Wild's shoulders. "Twi..Twi! That was my nickname! Do you remember something??" He asked, his eyes lighting up. "N..No, I'm sorry- I just thought of that right now..I didn't- I'm sorry.."

Twilight's smile slowly fell as his eyes became glossy with tears. He furrowed his eyebrows and huffed. "I don't understand..you did this the first you lost your..memories..you had to go to the places you had important memories at..so why isn't it working now??" He yelled to no one in particular. "Please..please..let this work.." He whimpered. "I never even got to tell you how I..-"

"Got to tell me how you what?"

"Nothing..it's not important anymore..and it never will be..just forget it..let's just go."

After a while of trudging through the different environments, the two blondes had set up camp near one of the many oaks. Twilight sat on a log, poking the fire with a stick and causing a few embers to fly and float about. Wild sat under their makeshift shelter, watching the other with a concerned expression. He tilted his head slightly and began to speak. "Twi..maybe..we can try again tomorrow..? Maybe it'll work.." Twilight shook his head and looked down. "There's no point.. I've given up..just go to bed..I'll stay up for a bit before sleeping myself.."

"Oh..um..okay, goodnight.."

"Yeah.."