Part 40

"Achoo! I don't understand why we still have class in cold winter like this."

"I wanna stay in my warm bed."

Lilian and Margaret grumbled as they folded their arms to find the warmth in their thick coats. The first week of winter seemed really hard for them. Even though the distance between the dormitory and Academy wasn't that far, now it felt like they took forever to arrive.

"Hang in there. You'll get warm as soon as you get to class."

Warren said to soothe them. Before it snowed, Edwin had ordered to install the heater in all the rooms of the Academy and dormitory. So the students, the teacher, and the staff would stay warm and comfortable.

Both Lilian and Margaret didn't say anything. They just walked faster in order to get to the class quickly. As usual, they parted ways to their own building after they reached the Academy's gate.

Once Zoella and Margaret entered the class, they were finally able to take off their coats and shawls. By the time they arrived, most of their classmates were already inside the class doing their things.

When Zoella sat on her chair, her eyes accidentally met Blaire's. She tilted her head with a questioning look. Contrary to her expectation, Blaire's pupil widened for a second and turned her head away.

Zoella was bewildered because she didn't have any intention to scare her.

'Don't tell me. Was it because of that time?'

Zoella remembered when she mouthed 'who's next?' to Blaire but it was already some time ago. And she thought Blaire had already forgotten about that. Zoella also did it out of a whim. 

'Was I that scary back then?'

She was indeed trying to scare her away but not to this extent. Zoella was only tilting her head because she was surprised that they suddenly locked eyes.

"Zoe? Why are you spacing out?"

Zoella blinked her eyes a few times as she back to her sense.

"It was nothing. Ah, have you read that chapter?"

"Does it matter? I have you anyways."

Margaret answered with a cheeky smile on her face. Before Zoella had a chance to retort, some of her friends came to her.

"Zoella, could you teach me about this part?"

"Me, too! I still don't understand it."

"This part? Sure, we have time before Mr. Mickle comes."

Just like that, she spent her days in Academy peacefully. And in the blink of an eye, it was only two days before the holiday started.

***

Hayes and Zoella went to her mini-laboratory. Hayes had never come to this room before. He observed the room with an impressed look in his eyes as he entered.

He thought the room would be a mess but it was the opposite. It was quite neat and clean.

"So, how was your experiment?"

Hayes asked while scanning a bottle of pink liquid in his hand. By the looks of it, he was certain that it was the middle-grade potion.

"I nailed it, of course. Look, this is the lowest-grade potion. The one in your hand is the middle grade. And that one is the highest grade. I made twenty five bottles each."

"Highest?"

Hayes put down the bottle in its box and took the highest one. A proud smile appeared as he observed the bottle.