Chapter 20

Elias' POV

The cool breeze brushes against my face as I slowly swing back and forth on Kai's swing set in his backyard. The loud music playing inside is slightly muffled, as well as the chatter of drunk teenagers inside the house.

The spacious backyard is pretty empty, surprisingly. Expect for the old swing set and the few dying plants which haven't been looked after for some time. I'm not sure what the time is, but I can guarantee it's well past 3am by now. I lean the side of my head against the swings chain, feeling slightly tipsy. I like the feeling though; the feeling in which the world stops turning and time no longer exists.

After Rosalia made the two groups take the shots together, we realised after a short while, that we were all being strangely neutral despite being enemies. So naturally, it didn't last long. The two groups separated and avoided each other the rest of the night. Until I decided to escape outside to try fight the overwhelming urge to be close to Ryder.

"What are you doing out here baby?" A voice pulls me out of my thoughts. I look up to see Ryder walking towards the swing set I'm occupying. "You could catch a cold," he warns me, with a gentle voice.

"I couldn't stand listening to Kai complain about Rosalia suggesting that his enemy is his mate any longer," I tell the half truth.

Ryder chuckles at that, remembering look of shock and distaste written on each of the boys faces. "That was pretty funny though," Ryder admits while taking a seat on the swing besides my own.

"Yeah, it was," I agree with him, with a little laugh of my own. "Could you ever imagine Kai and Blaze being mates, it would be like world war 3," I joke.

"Yeah, I definitely couldn't see it happening. But I also never thought you would be my mate either," he tells me, looking over to me.

I laugh, "yeah, neither did I," I admit. "But, I'm glad you are, now that I've gotten to know you, as well.. you and not my best friends enemy."

"I don't think I ever hated you Elias," Ryder confesses. "Didn't particularly like you though," he adds, making me attempt to hit him on the shoulder while he just laughs. "I like you now, promise," Ryder quickly adds.

"You better, cause you're kinda stuck with me," I remind him.

"I don't mind being stuck with you."

I hang my left hand out, to which Ryder grabs hold of with his free right hand. Our fingers intertwine with each other's. His hand warms up my cold one as we sit in a comfortable silence, rocking back and forth on our swings.

"I hate that a party is the only acceptable time we can be seen in public together. Even though it would still be odd anyone seeing us alone together right now," I admit to him.

Ryder looks at me with those eyes, the ones I know indicate he's upset and forcing himself to not show it. "Me too, baby," he says gently.

I sigh. "I'm sorry," I apologise. "I know, it's me who's doing this to us. I shouldn't be say that when I'm the only reason it's like this for us," I ramble my apologies.

"Baby, baby," Ryder shushes me. "I know, it's okay love, it's okay."

"It's not okay, I know you hate it." I shake my head.

"I would hate it more if you pushed yourself before you're ready just to please me," he admits.

"It's not that I'm not ready," I start, "it's just I'm terrified of everything changing too quickly. What if Silas hates me? My parents don't even know I'm attracted to males, what if they hate me? Hell I didn't even know I was attracted to males. What would Kai think? And then there's the issue of me being Silas future beta, what will happen with that?" I ramble on and on about my overwhelming worries to Ryder.

Ryder takes in a deep breath and squeezes my hand that he is still holding. "I understand, you're scared. I probably don't understand exactly how you feel right now since I don't have my family here and luckily my friends accepted you the moment they knew. But, I know Silas and Kai would never hate you Elias, if anything they will probably just hate me more. As for your parents, I'm sure they'll love and accept you no matter what Eli, if not I'll be here to support you in anyway possible," Ryder confidently informs me, making me feel a little bit more calm with how well he's handling my stress and worries.

"I was originally going to wait to suggest this to you, but I don't know if there going to be a perfect time to say it and if I say it now you'll have time to think it over before you make a decision," Ryder begins speaking again. "You're happiness means the most to me Elias, and I know normally the mate of an Alpha would become my Luna. But, I would much prefer you to be beside myself, meaning I would like you not to just be my Luna but an Alpha along side myself. But, of course, I know how highly you see yourself as Silas Beta, and if you would like to stay in that position, I won't force you to leave it.

"I know this is a big decision, and I do not need an answer until you're ready of course. But you can think it over until you decide Elias," Ryder finishes.

My mind processes everything Ryder has told me. I've never heard of mates being in separate packs while staying mates before. Often due to loyalty issues. I'm shocked Ryder would even allow me to stay as Silas' Beta if I wished.

I'm also shocked Ryder wants me to be equal beside him in his own pack, if I chose to be an Alpha with him.

Most of all, I don't know how I got blessed with the most understanding and thoughtful mate ever.

I squeeze Ryder hand back, which is still tightly untwined with my own. "Thank you, Ryder," I tell him genuinely.

"I will need to think this over, but when I know, I'll let you know," I promise him. Ryder nods his head in understanding.

"Take your time baby." He smiles at me.