2. Moment of Strength

I didn't see Thisalee during the next two weeks, except for a few glimpses here and there. I was busy with my studies, so I spent a lot of time either in my room or in the library. Sadly, I didn't even have time to think about her much, but then again, maybe it was for the best if I just forgot all about her.

One day, it all changed.

I was staying at the library until the staff came to kick me and the rest of the overly anxious students out. With a sigh, I reluctantly gathered my stuff. I hadn't gotten as much work done as I hoped, so I knew I wasn't going to get my goodnight's sleep that night. I had a few books pressed against my chest, since my bag was too full already, and I could almost hear the straps screaming for help.

That reminded me of Thisalee, and I cursed myself for wasting that chance I got. Although, what chances did I actually have? She was with Pretty Boy, after all... But I still felt like I had ruined my only chance of happiness.

And suddenly, when I stepped out of the library, I saw her right in front of me, like she had emerged from my memories just because I thought of her. I stopped just outside the main entrance, barely hearing the door getting locked behind me. I couldn't see or hear anything else, except for Thisalee. But then I spotted him right in front of her. Pretty Boy. Since he was there as well, and I really didn't want to see him being all lovey-dovey with Thisalee, I turned my head away, and started marching across the darkening yard.

"...I can't believe you did that!"

I stopped and turned to look back when I heard Thisalee's angry words. I was just in time to see her push Pretty Boy back. Things looked pretty heated between the two of them, so I stayed put to make sure Pretty Boy wasn't going to do anything to her, but so far, he just stood there with his mouth open in surprise.

"But we've been together for over a year now! You're my girlfriend!" he managed to say.

"Yeah – girlfriend. That's all this is, and now I'm not so sure about that either, you jerk! You went behind my back!"

"Why are you mad? I thought we agreed–"

"We didn't agree on anything! I told you I can hang out and do stuff but you're not my m...!" she snapped her mouth shut in mid-sentence and peered around. She lowered her voice when she continued speaking. I couldn't hear what she said, but whatever it was, it was getting Pretty Boy angry. I didn't even notice I had made my way closer to them.

"But you haven't found anyone else yet! I thought you belonged to me now!" Pretty Boy said, making me angry. There was something about the way he said, 'you belong to me now', that rubbed me the wrong way. Very wrong way.

"I don't belong to you! It's been seven years since my sixteenth birthday, and nothing has happened!" Thisalee spoke angrily, just loud enough for me to hear her. "You better stop telling people that you and I are promised to each other, because we are not!"

"Sometimes it just takes time!" Pretty Boy exclaimed with a deep frown, and his whole appearance was turning threatening, but Thisalee wasn't backing off.

"It's not going to happen! It's been seven years! You'd think that I'd feel at least something by now!" she hissed at him. "But I don't, and it's not going to change, even she knows that!"

I walked a bit faster since Pretty Boy was clearly losing his temper. He growled at her in his anger!

"So you've been leading me on this entire time? You bitch!" Pretty Boy seemed to finally lose his mind. He stepped in front of her and tried to grab her, but I was already right next to her and pushed him hard on his chest, making him step back.

"Why don't you piss off, huh?" I asked and almost scared myself with how angry my voice was.

They both sprung around to look at me. My eyes met Pretty Boy's. He stared at me for a second or two before his expression turned even angrier.

"You piss off, lamb! Who the fuck are you anyway, loser?" he shouted at my face.

"I am Rayleigh Abner, and you need to back off," I said, trying to stand as tall as I could, ignoring the fact that this guy looked more than capable of beating the crap out of me.

And I expected him to do that. He took the first step toward me, balling his hands into tight fists, but I didn't even blink. "Try me," I spoke, packing as much threat in those two words as I could muster.

He stopped, and for some reason, his posture turned insecure. He peered shortly at Thisalee, then back at me, and I could see a hint of nervousness in his eyes.

"Fuck both of you!" he whined, turned around, and marched away. I stared at him until he vanished behind the corner of the library and then turned to look at Thisalee.

She was staring at me with wide eyes, standing there like she was frozen on the spot.

"Are you all right?" I asked.

She let out a long breath and took half a step back from me. "I'm... I'm fine..." she muttered.

"You sure?" I asked.

She nodded a bit nervously. "S-Sure."

I looked her in the eyes. They were green. Emerald green. I smiled. I finally knew what color they were, and I was not disappointed. Her eyes were breathtaking! I felt... I felt so warm all of a sudden. Like I was being blessed by her grace. I felt warm and calm and happy when she watched me. I didn't even feel like myself when I looked at her. I felt... stronger.

"Who are you?" she asked, suddenly looking extremely curious. "What are you?" she added, measuring me up and down with her gaze.

"What?" I chuckled. "I'm... Rayleigh? I'm a student here?" I spoke in confusion.

"Just... Rayleigh?" she asked. I could've sworn she sniffed the air around me. "Just Rayleigh," she added in a mutter, looking just as confused as I felt.

"Are you okay? For real?" I asked again.

"Yeah... I'm fine," she spoke, shaking her head a little like trying to focus. "Thanks for your help, but I had everything under control."

"I'm sure you did," I chuckled, earning a small, crooked smile, and a raised eyebrow from her. I could tell she was serious but decided not to start arguing with me.

I was at a loss for words. I completely forgot the world around us. I wanted to stay with her a little while longer, even without talking. Her presence was so amazing I didn't want that moment to end.

"Welp. I'll see you around then," she said abruptly and grabbed her bag.

It took me a moment to wake up from my happy little bubble, and when I did, I realized she had clearly been waiting for me to say something, but since I didn't, she started to walk away. I lost half of my courage and was suddenly struggling to find something to say.

Should I ask her out? But I had no idea what was going on with her and Pretty Boy! I thought they were a couple, but the way she spoke...

"Wait!" I yelled after her, panicking a little over losing this chance I was granted, but I still didn't know what to say! She slowed down but didn't look at me. The next couple of seconds were agonizing for me as I tried to decide if I should just ask her out. Somehow, I managed to find my balls, no matter how tiny they were, and blurted out, "Would you like to go grab a cup of coffee sometime? My treat?"

She turned to look at me. "No," she said, but she had a small smile on her lips. I felt my hopes and dreams come crashing down, but then she added, "I know you can do better than that," and continued her way toward the dorms.

I stood there in utter confusion. Did I just get turned down... or not?

"Until we meet again, Rayleigh Abner," she spoke, waving at me over her shoulder.

I had the feeling I didn't get turned down, but I suddenly knew that she wouldn't make things easy for me.

I smiled at her back. "Until we meet again."