3. Hard to Get

I had the feeling Thisalee was avoiding me during the next week or so. I didn't see her anywhere. I didn't spot her even once, and the campus wasn't that big. I did see Pretty Boy a few times, and every time our paths crossed, he glared at me like he wanted to launch at me.

My friends noticed that something was up between us two. I hadn't told anyone about my encounter with Thisalee, not even Ezra. I didn't want to jinx it. The way Thisalee and I parted our ways gave me the impression there would be part two, but since she was nowhere to be seen, I was starting to doubt my senses.

I couldn't stop thinking about her eyes. Every time the image of them passed through my mind, I was filled with warmth and happiness. I had never experienced anything like that before. As the days passed, I became more anxious, more determined to see her again. Eventually, I was ready to skip classes and meals and even sleep just so I could find her.

That week was the longest of my entire life. When Friday came, Ryder asked me if I wanted to go for a couple of beers. I accepted the offer just to get something else to think about. It was just the two of us at the bar, or at least it was supposed to be like that, but soon enough, I found our little booth swarmed with girls. Ryder had that effect.

None of them were Thisalee. I wanted to ask them if they knew her, but I didn't want to seem like a pathetic creep, so I swallowed that question. I just drank my beer in silence while Ryder was entertaining the flock. Once I ran out, I stood up, told Ryder I'd be right back, and turned around.

And there she was, ordering a drink. My heart almost stopped beating at the sight of her. It took me the longest time to realize that I wasn't hallucinating, and even longer to take the first step towards her.

She was alone again... I had a chance to talk to her... I knew I would freak out if I let myself think about it any further, so I just kept walking. I took a couple of deep breaths when I stopped close to her – not too close so I wouldn't scare her away – and leaned against the counter.

"Hi," I said when she was finishing up her payment and hated the fact that my voice didn't sound as manly as I hoped.

Thisalee grabbed her drink and turned to look at me. "Hi," she uttered, her eyes meeting mine for a brief second. I opened my mouth to ask how she was doing, but she turned around. And left. Without saying a word or even looking back at me.

I could only stare after her. I had no idea what to do. I could follow her, but maybe she didn't want to have anything to do with me? But... What happened to the "until we meet again" thing? Did she change her mind?

After a few seconds of freaking out, I decided to man up and at least go ask her if everything was all right. I hurried after her without buying anything and caught up with her when she stopped to watch the people on the dance floor.

"So... I hope you're doing well," I said, and she turned to look at me.

"I'm good," she said, and turned to look away again.

I was out of ideas. I felt like I was only bothering her, and the last of my courage was already gone. I was not good with ladies like Ryder, or good with words like Ezra, so of course I had no business talking with a girl like Thisalee.

"That's good," I muttered. "Well, I'll get out of your hair then."

I saw her turn to look at me when I turned around, but she didn't say anything, so I started heading back to the counter to get a refill.

And then...

"Are you walking away from me?"

I stopped and glanced at her over my shoulder. "Was I not being a nuisance?" I asked.