(25)

"So." Liam says. "Here's the deal." We've been at Chuck's for a day now, and Liam called a meeting in the living room. I realise now how many people are actually in his gang. If I didn't know them, I would be freaked out. They are big. And quite scary looking. Liam has tattoos. One on his arm, a small bird, flying away, and one on his back. It says Forever is Eternity. Liam just got out the shower, and didn't bother to put a shirt on. I'm not complaining. No. I should thank him. Really. Woah.

"Gemma?" I snap back to life, and look at Liam's face.

"If you're done staring at my abs, I'll start." He teases. Everybody laughs, and I blush deeply, and glare at him. He laughs again, and slips on a shirt. Damn. "So anyway." He continues. "Drew and Josh have made it very clear that they want Gemma back." He looks at me. "That can't happen."

"It won't." Ben says defiantly.

"I know." Liam says. "But we have to be careful." He looks at me again, seriously. "Gemma." He continues. "Don't leave this house without somebody. Let us know where you're going at all times."

"They might use somebody she loves to get her back." Nathan says.

"They wouldn't bring my parents in to it." I say. "Josh knows that it wouldn't have much of an effect."

"Charlie." Ben blurts out. "Liam, he'll go for Charlie."

"Go get her." He says immediately. Ben runs out the room, a couple of guys following. My heart starts to beat fast. What if Charlie's already been taken? It will be all my fault.

"I...." I say slowly. "What if I bribe him? Give him my three thousand?"

"Josh doesn't have to worry about money now that he's partnered with Drew." Liam murmurs. "They want you, not money." I sigh.

"This is all my fault." I say, wringing my hands.

"No." Dean says unexpectedly. I look at him, confused. "Don't blame yourself. He ruins lives. He ends them. Just because he wants to control yours, doesn't mean you should think like that." I smile slightly, nodding.

"Thanks." I say quietly. I know he's talking about his girlfriend.

"While you stay here Gemma." Liam starts again. "We will figure out where they're setting up. It's not hard. They feel safe. They don't feel threatened."

"I want to help." I protest. I can't just stay here and do nothing.

"No." Liam says. "You're not going anywhere. You stay here."

"What about work?" I ask angrily. "School? And my parents?"

"Come on." Liam scoffs. "You work at a diner, you won't be missed. You've already passed all your exams and everybody at school hates you. And even if your parents came back DO YOU REALLY THINK THEY WOULD CARE ABOUT YOU?" He yells. I stare at him, dumbfounded. Everyone stays silent, and looks down respectfully. Liam notices, and his face softens.

"Gemma, I-"

"No." I say, my voice staggering. "You're right." I get up and head for the stairs. "Make sure Katherine and Kenny are safe."

<><><><><><><><><>

I sigh, as the legendary song came on, at the end of "The Breakfast Club." That made me feel slightly better. I think the tub of Cream and Cookies Ben and Jerry's helped. I roll over, and check my phone. Still no messages from my parents. I texted them a couple of days ago, out of pure hope they might answer. I should go down and talk to Liam. But this bed is so comfortable. Uh. Decisions. The decision in the end, didn't need to be decided. The door bursts open, to see Charlie standing in the door way.

"Oh my god Gemma!" She shouts. "Ben filled me in. Are you ok?" I stare at her, a little glum.

"I guess so." I say. "Sorry about dragging you into this."

"No!" She comforts, dumping her bag and joining me in the bed, dragging the covers over us. "Seriously. I'm here for you. My parents and brothers have left for their visit to our grandparents in London, I'm fine here." She hugs me, and sits back on the pillows. "When Ben came to get me, there were two guys sitting in a car on the other side of the street." She says. "I'm safer here." I smile. "Also." She continues. "The triplets just spent a good twenty minutes filling me in on the whole Liam yelling at you thing. He's awful. We hate him now."

"We don't hate him." I say laughing. "Because he's right."

"But that doesn't excuse him for doing what he did." She says sternly. "But he really does regret it. As we speak Ben is beating the shit out of him, and he's not even fighting back."

"How do you know he likes me?" I ask curiously.

"Again, the triplets." She says. "They seem to know everything." I snigger.

"Well." I sigh. "I guess I can't hide in here forever."

"Nope." She agrees. "You've run out of ice cream." I slowly roll out of bed, and change into some of Charlie's clothes. As much as I love the smell of Liam, his clothes do me no favours. We get down the stairs, and I can't see Liam, but Ben is in the living room, with the cutest little girl I've ever seen.

"Hello Gabby." Charlie says.

"Hayo Charwey." She giggles. Charlie picks her up, and takes her into the back yard to play.

"Is that your daughter?" I ask, smiling. "She's so cute."

"Thanks." He grins. "I picked her up after I got Charlie. Her mum, Eva, is here to. I just wanted to make sure."

"Of course." I say. "I know I have to stop saying this, but I'm sorry." 

"Yeah." He says dryly. "Stop saying that. We would have done it soon enough anyway." 

"Where's Liam?" I ask.

"In the kitchen icing his eye." He grins. "I punched him for you."

"Thanks." I joke. "I'm gonna go kick him in the balls now." He laughs, and joins Charlie outside. I head to the kitchen, and open the door. Liam takes the bag of peas of his eye and sheepishly stares at me.

"I'm sorry." He says softly. "I didn't mean it. I was just worried about you. I didn't want you to leave. It's dangerous." I sit down next to him, and smile slightly.

"It's ok." I say. "I shouldn't have just stormed off. It's just... whether you meant to say it or not, it's true." He stares at me, and frown.

"I was wrong about one thing." He says. "Kenny's diner is your real family." I smile. Of course.

"You're right." I answer. "Are they ok?"

"We have people keeping an eye on them." He says. "I got Nathan to let them know you're ok."

"Thanks." I smile. "So what do we do now?"

"Well." He continues. "We have people out getting information. When we get a lead, I have to go. I'll make Nathan and a couple of other guys stay, and my brothers." He looks at me. "I need you to stay with Charlie and Eva, and look after Gabby." I smile.

"I can do that." I agree. "As long as you let me know everything that happens."

"Of course." He laughs. I look at his eye, and giggle.

"Ben really got you good." I tell him.

"Yeah, well." He grumbles. "He did it for you. And I'm glad he did."

"Why?" I ask.

"I hate to be the one who makes you so sad."